Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Personal narratives, Confederate
|Named Person:||George Augustus Donohoe; John Carroll Donohoe; LeGrand Donohoe; Stephen George Donohoe; Stephen Joseph Donohoe; Donahue family|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Donohoe family.; Mary Walton Livingston
|Language Note:||Materials in English.|
|Notes:||The material described in this catalog record is located in the collections of the Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, Va.
The letters were transcribed by archivist Mary Walton Livingston and the original documents are currently held by her son, S. William Livingston.
The letters, dating from July 1861 to March 1865, contain notes in the margins made by Mary Walton Livingston, granddaughter of Stephen George Donohoe. Letters from the soldiers in the collection describe poor food and conditions at camp, fighting in breastworks, and injuries and deaths during the Civil War. Battles mentioned include First Manassas (July 1861), Spotsylvania Courthouse (May 1864), Battle of the Wilderness (May 1864), skirmishes with Union troops near Petersburg, Va. (July 1864), and skirmishes between White's 35th Battalion and the Loudoun Rangers. Family members write with local news and express concern for those serving. Stephen George Donohoe's will and the obituary of Stephen Joseph Donohoe are also included in the collection.
- Donohoe, George Augustus, -- 1843-1861 -- Correspondence.
- Donohoe, John Carroll, -- 1838-1921 -- Correspondence.
- Donohoe, LeGrand, -- 1846-1920 -- Correspondence.
- Donohoe, Stephen George, -- 1809-1915 -- Will.
- Donohoe, Stephen Joseph, -- 1841-1864 -- Correspondence.
- Donahue family -- Correspondence.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army. -- Virginia Cavalry Battalion, 35th.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army. -- Virginia Cavalry Regiment, 6th.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army. -- Virginia Infantry Regiment, 8th.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army -- Military life.
- United States. -- Army. -- Loudoun Rangers.
- Bull Run, 1st Battle of, Va., 1861 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- Soldiers -- Confederate States of America -- Correspondence.
- Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of, Va., 1864 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- Loudoun County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century.
- Petersburg (Va.) -- History -- Siege, 1864-1865.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- Wilderness, Battle of the, Va., 1864 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.