Biography Juvenile literature
|提及的人：||John Wesley Powell; John Wesley Powell|
Deborah Kogan Ray
|奖励：||Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People, 2008|
|描述：||1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill., map ; 29 cm.|
|责任：||Deborah Kogan Ray.|
Although John Wesley Powell's minister father always wanted his son to follow in his footsteps, young Wes had different plans for his future. Enraptured by the wonders of the natural world, he was determined to take the path of science. Even after losing his right arm below the elbow in battle during the Civil War, Wes would not be deterred from his dream of leading the first scientific expedition down the Colorado River and through the Grand Canyon. Braving treacherous rapids and perilous waterfalls, Major Powell would surpass all expectations and return home a national hero.
- Powell, John Wesley, -- 1834-1902 -- Juvenile literature.
- Explorers -- West (U.S.) -- Biography -- Juvenile literature.
- Colorado River (Colo.-Mexico) -- Discovery and exploration -- Juvenile literature.
- West (U.S.) -- Discovery and exploration -- Juvenile literature.
- Powell, John Wesley, -- 1834-1902.
- Discoveries in geography.
- North America -- Colorado River.
- United States, West.