Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Criticism, interpretation, etc|
|Named Person:||Pierre Puvis de Chavannes; Pierre Puvis de Chavannes; Pierre Puvis de Chavannes; Pierre Puvis de Chavannes; Pierre Puvis de Chavannes|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Jennifer Laurie Shaw
|Description:||x, 245 pages : illustrations (some color)|
|Contents:||1. High Art's Other Body --
2. Dream's Body: The Sacred Grove Dear to the Arts and Muses --
3. Dreaming the French Patrimony --
4. The Epistemology of Dream: The Sorbonne Mural --
5. Imagining the Motherland: Modernism and Fantasy in the Hotel de Ville --
Conclusion: The Banquet for Puvis de Chavannes.
|Responsibility:||Jennifer L. Shaw.|
"This illustrated book is the first full-length examination of Puvis's murals and their critical reception during the artist's lifetime. Jennifer L. Shaw explains that Puvis's paintings were imagined to embody a vision of France. Although his regional images, allegories of the French heritage, and evocations of the nation as an embracing motherland were all part of a grand tradition of public art, Puvis's painting style was more closely alligned with the avant-garde. Rather than providing a specific narrative or allegory of France, Puvis's murals provoked viewers to experience their own fantasies of Frenchness; rather than using the close brushwork favored by most of his contemporaries, Puvis used large, flat areas of color to render his subjects.
Shaw persuasively argues that Puvis was the only painter of the period to unite the traditions of public art and modernist form. Her original analysis of Puvis's art underlines his importance to the history of modernism; her examination of the public response to his art illuminates debates about art, subjectivity, and national identity in fin-de-siecle France."--Jacket.
- Puvis de Chavannes, Pierre, -- 1824-1898 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Symbolism in art.
- National characteristics in art.
- Puvis de Chavannes, Pierre, -- 1824-1898.
- Puvis de Chavannes, Pierre, -- 1824-1898 -- Critique et interprétation.
- Symbolisme dans l'art.
- Caractéristiques nationales dans l'art.