Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780807834596 0807834599 9780807877937 080787793X|
|Description:||x, 333 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||Introduction : the view from the mountain --
The setting, the Cherokees, and the first era of Ducktown mining, 1843-1878 --
The revival of Ducktown mining and the first smoke suits, 1890-1903 --
The farmers and the copper companies wage battle in the Tennessee courts --
Georgia enters the fray --
The Ducktown desert and Georgia's first smoke suit --
Will Shippen, forestry, and Georgia's second smoke suit, 1905-1907 --
Attorney general Hart, the National Farmers Union, and the search for a remedy, 1907-1910 --
The smoke injunction and the great war, 1914-1918 --
Power dams, whitewater rafting, and the reclamation of the Ducktown desert, 1916-2010 --
Epilogue : the view from the mountain.
Maysilles provides a vibrant look at Ducktown, its smoke, and what would emerge as its deserted landscape.--"North Carolina Historical Review"
- Liability for environmental damages -- Appalachian Region, Southern.
- Liability for environmental damages -- Tennessee -- Ducktown Region (Polk County)
- Copper mines and mining -- Environmental aspects -- Appalachian Region, Southern.
- Copper mines and mining -- Environmental aspects -- Tennessee -- Ducktown Region (Polk County)
- Environmental disasters -- Appalachian Region, Southern.
- Environmental disasters -- Tennessee -- Ducktown Region (Polk County)
- Georgia -- Trials, litigation, etc.
- Ducktown Mining District