Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Criticism, interpretation, etc
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Orlando, Emily J. (Emily Josephine), 1969-
Edith Wharton and the visual arts.
Tuscaloosa : University of Alabama Press, ©2007
|Named Person:||Edith Wharton; Edith Wharton; Edith Wharton|
|Material Type:||Document, Government publication, State or province government publication, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Emily J Orlando
|Reproduction Notes:||Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010. MiAaHDL|
|Description:||1 online resource (xiii, 250 pages) : illustrations.|
|Details:||Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002.|
|Contents:||Introduction: women, art, and the sexual politics of (mis)representation in Edith Wharton --
Beauty enshrined: living pictures and still lifes; or, her body becomes his art --
Picturing Lily: body art in The house of mirth and "The potboiler"; or, her body becomes her art --
"Beauty enthrones": the muse's progress --
Angels at the grave; custodial work in the palace of art --
"We'll look, not at visions, but at realities": women, art, and representation in The age of innocence.
|Series Title:||Studies in American literary realism and naturalism.|
|Responsibility:||Emily J. Orlando.|
"In this meticulously researched study of Wharton's novels and short stories, Orlando (Fairfield University) makes a convincing argument for the ways in which Wharton enacted, through her work, a
- Wharton, Edith, -- 1862-1937 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Wharton, Edith, -- 1862-1937 -- Knowledge -- Art.
- Art and literature -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Visual perception in literature.
- Wharton, Edith -- 1862-1937 -- Criticism and interpretation. Visual perception in literature. Art and literature -- United States -- History -- 20th century. Wharton, Edith -- 1862-1937 -- Knowledge.
- LITERARY CRITICISM -- American -- General.
- Wharton, Edith, -- 1862-1937
- Art and literature.
- United States.