|提及的人：||Edward, King of England; Edward, King of England.; Édouard, roi d'Angleterre; Édouard, (roi d'Angleterre ;; Edward, King of England|
Jennifer Loach; G W Bernard; Penry Williams
|描述：||xviii, 210 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.|
|内容：||The birth of Edward VI --
Edward's upbringing and education --
The death of Henry VIII: the king's will and establishment of the protectorate --
Edward's coronation --
Somerset's protectorate --
Economic and social difficulties --
The rebellions of 1549 --
The fall of the protector --
Northumberland's rule --
Religious policy under Northumberland --
Edward's court --
Edward's illness and death --
Queen Jane and Queen Mary --
Appendix: the portraits of Edward VI / by Penry Williams.
|叢書名：||Yale English monarchs.|
|責任：||Jennifer Loach ; edited by George Bernard and Penry Williams.|
"Jennifer Loach presents a substantially fresh portrait of the boy king. Far from being the sickly child of traditional history, he is depicted as a typical young aristocrat of his day, interested in hunting, tournaments and warfare, healthy and vigorous up to his final months. The cause of Edward's early death is here diagnosed as the consequence of a severe and rapid infection of the lungs, rather than the gradual process of tuberculosis." "The book explores Edward's life as prince and later king, analysing the events and politics of the time and the context of the royal court in his upbringing and his rule. It considers the extent to which the young king was himself involved in matters of state and assesses the governments of Edward Seymour, duke of Somerset, and of John Dudley, duke of Northumberland, both of whom ruled in his name. Loach questions the image of Edward as the 'godly imp' portrayed in John Foxe's Book of Martyrs, and advances the view that he was more concerned with obedience to his authority than with detailed points of doctrine." "This important and original book transforms our understanding of a dramatic period of British history, marked by political volatility, religious change and social unrest, and throws new light on an age often neglected by historians."--BOOK JACKET.
- Edward -- VI, -- King of England, -- 1537-1553.
- Great Britain -- History -- Edward VI, 1547-1553.
- Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Biography.
- Edward, -- VI, -- King of England.
- England -- Religious life and customs.
- England -- Kings and rulers -- Biography.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1547-1553.
- Édouard -- VI, -- roi d'Angleterre, -- 1537-1553.
- Rois et souverains -- Grande-Bretagne -- Biographies.
- Grande-Bretagne -- Histoire -- 1547-1553 (Édouard VI)
- Édouard -- VI -- (roi d'Angleterre ; -- 1537-1553) -- Biographies.
- Grande-Bretagne -- 1547-1553 (Édouard VI).
- Grande-Bretagne -- Politique et gouvernement -- 1547-1553.
- Angleterre (GB) -- Vie religieuse.
- Kings and rulers.
- Great Britain.