|関連の人物：||George A Custer; Elizabeth Bacon Custer; Elizabeth Bacon Custer; Elizabeth Bacon Custer; George A Custer; Elizabeth Bacon Custer; George Armstrong Custer; Elizabeth Bacon Custer; George Armstrong Custer|
|資料の種類：||Biography, Government publication, State or province government publication|
Shirley A Leckie
|物理形態：||xxiii, 419 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm|
|責任者：||Shirley A. Leckie.|
Elizabeth Bacon Custer and the Making of a Myth explores this complex woman and her role in creating the Custer myth. A true nineteenth-century woman whose religious fervor had been reinforced by attendance at two female seminaries, Elizabeth (known to friends and family as "Libbie") entered her marriage determined to convert her flamboyant husband and raise children who would become "cornerstone[s] in the great church of god." But the marriage, while passionate, brought neither the children she desired nor the idyllic happiness she later described. Military life was a struggle: at times the couple suffered lengthy separations; other times Libbie endured the privations of life on frontier posts to be near her husband. Libbie tolerated his marital infidelities and gambling, though not without complaint or flirtations of her own.
Through it all, Libbie contributed to George Armstrong Custer's advancement far more than has been recognized. After his death, Libbie's crusade to honor him affirmed the middle-class domestic and patriotic values she held, and these were, in turn, used to justify the conquest of American Indians. Not until Libbie died did historians and military leaders feel free to re-evaluate the actions and character of General Custer. Extensively researched and unflinchingly honest, this is the first comprehensive treatment of Elizabeth Bacon Custer's remarkable life. She willingly adhered to the social, religious, and sex-role restrictions of her day, yet used her authority as model wife and widow to influence events and ideology far beyond the private sphere. From the facts of her life emerges a story no less compelling than the legend of General Custer.
- Custer, George A. -- (George Armstrong), -- 1839-1876.
- Custer, Elizabeth Bacon, -- 1842-1933.
- United States. -- Army -- Military life -- History -- 19th century.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- West (U.S.)
- Officers' spouses -- West (U.S.) -- Biography.
- Indians of North America -- Wars -- 1866-1895.
- Custer, Elizabeth Bacon.
- United States. -- Army.
- Custer, Elizabeth Bacon, -- 1842-1933
- Custer, George A. -- (George Armstrong), -- 1839-1876
- Frontier and pioneer life.
- Indians of North America -- Wars.
- Officers' spouses.
- Armed Forces -- Military life.
- United States, West.
- Persoonlijke levenssfeer.
- Custer, George Armstrong.
- Military forces -- Wives
- Custer, George Armstrong, -- 1839-1876.