Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Edwin Booth; Elizabeth Barrett Browning; Robert Browning; Ralph Waldo Emerson; Paul Hamilton Hayne; Henry Kingsley; Herman Melville; Fitz James O'Brien; Thomas Buchanan Read; William Gilmore Simms; Elizabeth Stoddard; Elizabeth Stoddard; Elizabeth Stoddard; Richard Henry Stoddard; Bayard Taylor; Alfred Tennyson Tennyson, Baron; Barstow family.|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Elizabeth Stoddard; James Lorimer Graham; Emma Lambourn; Ernest D North; Margaret J M Sweat
|Notes:||In Rare Books and Manuscripts, University Libraries, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa. (#1972-0004R/A-S).|
Stoddard writes about literary men and women (Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Robert Browning, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Paul Hamilton Hayne, Herman Melville, Fitz James O'Brien, Thomas Buchanan Read, William Gilmore Simms, Bayard Taylor, Alfred Tennyson); her relationship with her husband Richard Henry Stoddard; her Barstow relatives, particularly brother Wilson; and her thoughts and beliefs about womanhood.
In letters to Josephine and James Lorimer Graham, Stoddard writes of her son Willy's illness and death two months later; the Civil War; advance notice that Carleton will publish her novel, The Morgesons; comments on the success of The Morgesons; becoming acquainted with Edwin Booth, his drinking, and the death of his wife, Mary. To Mrs. Bunce for her husband, Richard Henry Stoddard, with strong opinions about literature.
To Emma Lambourn she writes of the death of Bayard Taylor; to Ernest D. North of Charles Scribners Sons she praises Henry Kingsley's novels. Emma Carleton writes to Mrs. Frederick Gotthold, 1911, about reading Stoddard's works. Also, includes two of Stoddard's poems, "Mary Booth" and the unpublished "The stone face," and an untitled short story with a photograph of Stoddard.
- Booth, Edwin, -- 1833-1893.
- Browning, Elizabeth Barrett, -- 1806-1861.
- Browning, Robert, -- 1812-1889.
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, -- 1803-1882.
- Hayne, Paul Hamilton, -- 1830-1886.
- Kingsley, Henry, -- 1830-1876.
- Melville, Herman, -- 1819-1891.
- O'Brien, Fitz James, -- 1828-1862.
- Read, Thomas Buchanan, -- 1822-1872.
- Simms, William Gilmore, -- 1806-1870.
- Stoddard, Elizabeth, -- 1823-1902 -- Correspondence.
- Stoddard, Elizabeth, -- 1823-1902 -- Books and reading.
- Stoddard, Elizabeth, -- 1823-1902 -- Portraits.
- Stoddard, Richard Henry, -- 1825-1903.
- Taylor, Bayard, -- 1825-1878.
- Tennyson, Alfred Tennyson, -- Baron, -- 1809-1892.
- Barstow family.
- Women authors, American -- 19th century.