Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Criticism, interpretation, etc
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Bouson, J. Brooks.
Albany : State University of New York Press, ©2009
|Material Type:||Document, Government publication, State or province government publication, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
J Brooks Bouson
|Description:||1 online resource (ix, 226 pages)|
The humiliations of the female flesh in Alice Munro's Lives of girls and women --
Family violence, incest, and white-trash shame in Dorothy Allison's Bastard out of Carolina --
Racial self-loathing and the color complex in Toni Morrison's The bluest eye and Marita Golden's Don't play in the sun --
Sexual shame, family honor, and the mother-daughter relationship in Edwidge Danticat's Breath, eyes, memory --
Coming of age in a culture of shame in Naomi Wolf's Promiscuities --
Feeling fat, fearing fat in Jenefer Shute's Life-size and Judith Moore's Fat girl: a true story --
The culture of apperances and the socially invisible and unattractive woman in Anita Brookner's Look at me, Doris Lessing's The summer before the dark, and Fay Weldon's The life and loves of a she-devil --
Gerontophobia and the cultural shaming of the elderly woman in May Sarton's As we are now and Margaret Laurence's The stone angel --
Writing the disfigured and disabled body-self in Lucy Grealy's Autobiography of a face and Nancy Mairs's Plaintext, Carnal acts, and Waist-high in the world --
|Other Titles:||Female shame in contemporary women's writings|
|Responsibility:||J. Brooks Bouson.|
- American literature -- Women authors -- History and criticism.
- Canadian literature -- Women authors -- History and criticism.
- English literature -- Women authors -- History and criticism.
- Women in literature.
- Shame in literature.
- Abused women in literature.
- Psychic trauma in literature.
- Body image in literature.
- Self-perception in literature.
- Body image in women.
- Self-perception in women.
- LITERARY CRITICISM -- American -- General.
- American literature -- Women authors.
- Canadian literature -- Women authors.
- English literature -- Women authors.