Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||John Singleton Copley Lyndhurst, Baron; John Milton; Isaac Newton; Henry John Temple Palmerston, Viscount; Walter Raleigh, Sir; William Shakespeare; William Walker; Gilbert Stuart|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Jean Holbein; Marie Stevens Howland
|Notes:||The engravings were acquired by Marie Howland, assistant editor of the Fairhope newspaper.|
|Description:||550 (approximately) items.|
Photographs include faded portraits of Lord Palmerston, Lord Lyndhurst, William Walker with original autograph, and the Rev. Dr. Marvine; a few small snapshots of Swiss scenes and a large one of a glacier; and one mounted scene of four women in front of a Victorian gingerbread house.
Miscellaneous items include Maria S. Case's high school diploma; pages from a souvenir book from the 1889 Paris Exposition; and oversize engravings of prominent Protestant Reformation figures. Individual portrait engravings include European nobility and rulers; popes; Christian saints; artists including Gilbert Stuart; authors including Milton and Shakespeare; scientists, including Sir Isaac Newton; explorers including Sir Walter Raleigh; and philosophers.
Some of the engravings may have been removed from "Gallery of Masterpieces of the Old German Wood Engravers," published 1858/1859.
- Lyndhurst, John Singleton Copley, -- Baron, -- 1772-1863 -- Photographs.
- Milton, John, -- 1608-1674 -- Portraits.
- Newton, Isaac, -- 1642-1727 -- Portraits.
- Palmerston, Henry John Temple, -- Viscount, -- 1784-1865 -- Photographs.
- Raleigh, Walter, -- Sir, -- approximately 1552-1618 -- Portraits.
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616 -- Portraits.
- Walker, William, -- 1824-1860 -- Photographs.
- Stuart, Gilbert, -- 1755-1828 -- Portraits.
- Fairhope Single Tax Corporation.
- Nobility in art.
- Popes in art.
- Reformation in art.
- Saints in art.
- Switzerland -- Photographs.