Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Trials, litigation, etc
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Nancy Hogshead-Makar; Andrew S Zimbalist
|ISBN:||9781592133796 1592133797 9781592133802 1592133800|
|Description:||xiii, 313 pages ; 27 cm|
Introduction / Nancy Hogshead-Makar and Andrew Zimbalist --
pt. 1. Women's sports before Title IX --
Coming on strong, gender and sexuality in twentieth-century sports / Susan Cahn --
Heroines as well as heroes / Welch Suggs --
Didrikson was a woman ahead of her time / Larry Schwartz --
Sport is unfair to women (part 1) / Bil Gilbert and Nancy Williamson --
pt. 2. Staking a claim : the first decade --
Speech of Senator Birch Bayh to the New York women's political caucus --
Amendment to Title IX of the education amendments of 1972 --
Statement of Hon. Birch Bayh, a U.S. Senator from the state of Indiana, on the Tower Amendment --
Javits Amendment --
1975 Title IX regulations --
A policy interpretation : Title IX and intercollegiate athletics --
United States District Court, d. Kansas : National Collegiate Athletic Association v. Joseph Califano et al. (decided Jan. 9, 1978) --
Supreme Court of the United States : Geraldine G. Cannon v. University of Chicago et al. (decided May 14, 1979). pt. 3. The initial backlash : the 1980s --
Supreme Court of the United States : Grove City College et al. v. Terrel H. Bell et al. (decided Feb. 28, 1984) --
Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 --
Reducing the commercialization of intercollegiate athletics / Gary R. Roberts --
pt. 4. Accelerated pace : the 1990s --
Testing Title IX : Amy Cohen and Brown University / Andrew Zimbalist --
United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit: Amy Cohen et al. v. Brown University et al. (decided Nov. 21, 1996) --
1996 clarification of intercollegiate athletics policy guidance : the three-part test --
Letter from the U.S. Department of Education to Bowling Green State University --
Women in Intercollegiate Sport : a longitudinal, national study, twenty-nine year update, 1977-2006 / Vivian Acosta and Linda Jean Carpenter --
Stronger women / Mariah Burton Nelson. pt. 5. The second backlash : 2001-2008 --
United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia circuit: National Wrestling Coaches Association et al. v. Department of Education (decided May 14, 2004) --
Tilting the playing field : schools, sports, sex and Title IX / Jessica Gavora --
A critique of Tilting the playing field : schools, sports, sex and Title IX / Nancy Hogshead-Makar --
What to do about Title IX / Andrew Zimbalist --
Open to all : Title IX at thirty --
Minority views on the report of the Commission on Opportunity in Athletics / Donna de Varona and Julie Foudy --
Limitations of the Department of Education's on-line survey method for measuring athletic interest and ability on U.S.A. campuses / Don Sabo and Christine Grant --
Bush administration uses stealth tactics to subvert Title IX / Andrew Zimbalist --
Football is a sucker's game / Michael Sokolove --
Title IX by the numbers / Andrew Zimbalist --
|Responsibility:||edited by Nancy Hogshead-Makar and Andrew Zimbalist.|
"A good primer on history and struggles...the authors clearly spell out the periodic backlashes to Title IX as well as its victories." Ms Magazine 2007 "A particular strength of this collection is
- Sex discrimination in sports -- Law and legislation -- United States.
- Sex discrimination in sports -- Law and legislation -- United States -- Cases.
- Sports for women -- Law and legislation -- United States.
- Women athletes -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- United States.
- Sex discrimination against women -- Law and legislation -- United States.
- College sports for women -- United States -- History.
- United States. -- Education Amendments of 1972. -- Title IX.
- Education Amendments of 1972 (United States)
- College sports for women.
- Sex discrimination against women -- Law and legislation.
- Sex discrimination in sports -- Law and legislation.
- Sports for women -- Law and legislation.
- Women athletes -- Legal status, laws, etc.
- United States.
- discrimination sexuelle -- femme -- sport -- Etats-Unis -- études diverses.
User lists with this item (17)
- KNES 460/Sport Management(80 items)
by sunnyday updated 2016-01-11
- Things to Check Out(5 items)
by zharmon83193 updated 2015-04-19
- Women’s History Month: Books in the CGA Library(72 items)
by uscgalibrary updated 2013-02-24
- Title IX(6 items)
by cnhoward updated 2013-01-24
- discrimination(238 items)
by LRS updated 2012-01-18