Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Gelatin silver prints
Dye coupler prints
|Named Person:||Ethel L Payne; Yvonne Brathwaite; Edward W Brooke; Shirley Chisholm; John Conyers; William L Dawson; Ronald V Dellums; Charles C Diggs; Berry Gordy; Yakubu Gowon; Dorothy I Height; A Leon Higginbotham, Jr.; Hubert H Humphrey; Lady Bird Johnson; Lyndon B Johnson; Barbara Jordan; John F Kennedy; Robert F Kennedy; Clarence M Mitchell; Clarence M Mitchell; Juanita Jackson Mitchell; Edmund S Muskie; Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis; Mokhtar Ould Daddah; Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.; Charles B Rangel; Ayotunde Rosiji; Bayard Rustin; Stephen G Spottswood; Louis Stokes; Walter E Washington; Andrew Young|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Photograph|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Ethel L Payne; Robert L Knudsen; Paul Parker; Abbie Rowe; Maurice Sorrell; Cecil Stoughton; Harris & Ewing.
|Notes:||Title devised by cataloger.
Some photographs have photographer's or photography studio's handstamp; some photographs have photographer's or studio's name printed on recto; some items bear date stamp on verso.
Many photographs bear handwritten descriptive information on verso; some items have typewritten captions attached to verso; one item has printed caption on recto. Some photographs have cropping marks; one item bears an inscription; some images are duplicates.
Collection contains work by Robert L. Knudsen, Paul Parker, Abbie Rowe, Maurice Sorrell and Cecil W. Stoughton, among others.
|Description:||89 items (.3 lin. ft., 1 box) 12 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ; 26 x 21 cm. or smaller. 66 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ; 21 x 26 cm. or smaller. 6 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ; 30 x 38 cm. or smaller. 5 photographic prints : col. ; 21 x 26 cm.|
The collection consists of individual and group portraits and candid shots of Payne; journalism colleagues; and prominant figures in American and African politics, the civil rights movement and entertainment. Also depicted are receptions, meetings, award ceremonies, political events, diplomatic missions and government hearings. The collection lacks personal photographs, her journalistic activities prior to the 1960s and after the mid-1970s, and her civil rights activities. Views of her international reporting are limited.
The collection includes a candid portrait of Payne on Easter Sunday (1963); receiving a certificate of life membership to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People from Board of Directors chairman Bishop Stephen G. Spottswood (ca. 1960s); in a group portrait that includes U.S. Congressman Charles C. Diggs of Michigan (1960); speaking to President Lyndon B. Johnson after a meeting with black leaders at the White House (1964); and presenting citations to N.A.A.C.P. Washington Bureau director, Clarence Mitchell, Jr. and Maryland State Senator Clarence Mitchell III at the Capital Press Club Dinner, Washington, D.C. (1972). Other attendees at the Capital Press Club gathering include U.S. Senator Edward Brooke of Massachusetts, U.S. Congressman Louis Stokes of Ohio, Washington, D.C. Mayor Walter E. Washington and attorney Juanita Jackson Mitchell.
Other images include some group portraits of Chief Ayotunde Rosiji of Nigeria, meeting with Congressmen Adam Clayton Powell, Jr., Charles Diggs and William L. Dawson, during his trip to the United States to observe the 1960 general election; views of the Abraham Lincoln Birthday Celebration at the White House with President John F. Kennedy and First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy greeting guests (1963); a view of the attendees gathered for President Johnson's signing of the Civil Rights Act (1964); group portraits and views of Johnson in meetings with various black leaders at the White House (1964); an undated view of a hearing on jobs, possibly in New York, with Bayard Rustin and Dorothy Height among the participants; and views and group portraits from the International Women's Year Tribune in Mexico City (1974).
Among some of the other individuals depicted include a group portrait of Jacqueline Kennedy and Lady Bird Johnson, with Ruth J. Jackson and Ruth Johnson Owens, at a Strategy for Victory Luncheon in Washington during the 1960 Presidential campaign; views of Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, the vocal group The Supremes, and Motown president Berry Gordy at an unidentified gathering (ca. 1967); Nigerian leader General Yakubu Gowon greeting Mauritanian President Mokhtar Ould Daddah in Nigeria (1969); and a group portrait of the Congressional Black Caucus at the White House, which includes House Representatives Ronald Dellums, John Conyers, Shirley Chisholm, Andrew Young, Barbara Jordan, Charles Rangel and Yvonne Brathwaite-Burke, among others (1974). Some individual and group portraits include Congressman William Dawson, Attorney General Robert Kennedy, Judge A. Leon Higginbotham, and Vice President Humphrey and U.S. Senator Edmund Muskie (ca. 1968).
- Payne, Ethel L.
- Brathwaite, Yvonne.
- Brooke, Edward W. -- (Edward William), -- 1919-2015.
- Chisholm, Shirley, -- 1924-2005.
- Conyers, John, -- 1929-
- Dawson, William L. -- (William Levi), -- 1886-1970.
- Dellums, Ronald V., -- 1935-
- Diggs, Charles C.
- Gordy, Berry.
- Gowon, Yakubu, -- 1934-
- Height, Dorothy I. -- (Dorothy Irene), -- 1912-2010.
- Higginbotham, A. Leon, -- Jr., -- 1928-1998.
- Humphrey, Hubert H. -- (Hubert Horatio), -- 1911-1978.
- Johnson, Lady Bird, -- 1912-
- Johnson, Lyndon B. -- (Lyndon Baines), -- 1908-1973.
- Jordan, Barbara, -- 1936-1996.
- Kennedy, John F. -- (John Fitzgerald), -- 1917-1963.
- Kennedy, Robert F., -- 1925-1968.
- Mitchell, Clarence M. -- (Clarence Maurice), -- 1911-1984.
- Mitchell, Clarence M., -- 1940-
- Mitchell, Juanita Jackson, -- 1913-
- Muskie, Edmund S., -- 1914-1996.
- Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy, -- 1929-1994.
- Ould Daddah, Mokhtar, -- 1924-
- Powell, Adam Clayton, -- Jr., -- 1908-1972.
- Rangel, Charles B.
- Rosiji, Ayotunde.
- Rustin, Bayard, -- 1912-1987.
- Spottswood, Stephen G. -- (Stephen Gill), -- 1897-1974.
- Stokes, Louis, -- 1925-
- Washington, Walter E., -- 1915-2003.
- Young, Andrew, -- 1932-
- Congressional Black Caucus.
- Supremes (Musical group)
- White House (Washington, D.C.)
- African American journalists.
- Women journalists -- United States.
- African Americans -- Civil rights.
- African American politicians.
- African American legislators.
- Legislators -- United States.
- Presidents -- United States.
- Heads of state -- Nigeria.
- Rites & ceremonies -- Washington, D.C. -- 1960-1969.
- Rites & ceremonies -- 1970-1979.
- Meetings -- Washington, D.C. -- 1960-1979.
- International Women's Year, 1975 -- Mexico -- Mexico City.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1961-1963.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1963-1969.