Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Ethical practice in early childhood.
Los Angeles : SAGE, 2012
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9781446264508 1446264505 0857028529 9780857028525 0857028537 9780857028532 9781446250938 1446250938|
|Description:||1 online resource (xvi, 219 pages)|
|Contents:||Towards an understanding of ethical practice in early childhood / Ioanna Palaiologou --
pt. 1. Ethical issues in research. 1. Involving young children in research / Donna Green : A right to "participation": when does it begin? ; The emergence of a new wave of thinking ; The ongoing journey to consent --
2. Ethical praxis when choosing research tools for use with children under five / Ioanna Palaiologou : Ethical praxis when choosing research tools with young children ; Research tools to use with children under five --
3. Ethics in researching children with special educational needs / Cheryl Ellis and Gary Beauchamp : Definitions of SEN ; Informed consent ; Gathering data ; Interpreting data ; Reporting findings --
4. Ethical research with children and vulnerable groups / Colette Gray : The evolution of research ethics ; Access and consent ; Obtaining consent ; Participatory research --
5. Ethical researching in other cultures / Ioanna Palaiologou : Introduction: the insider and outsider researcher ; The challenge of cultural relativism ; The challenge for the researcher ; Key issue of ethical research with children from other cultures: the right not to ... --
pt. 2. Ethical issues in policy and practice. 6. Ethics, policy and every child matters / Barry Powell : ECM, the policy background and fall-out ; Children, harm and welfare ; Modernisation, the workforce and new public management --
7. Ethics in multi-agency working / Ioanna Palaiologou : Ethical challenges in multi-agency work ; Moving beyond multi- or inter-agency work: "trans-agency" work ; Ethical challenges of trans-agency work --
8. Loss, bereavement and ethics / Sarah James : Loss, bereavement and mortality data ; Socio-cultural contexts ; Bereavement in early years settings ; Death education, for every child matters ; Young children and grief ; Bereavement models ; Bereavement support agencies --
9. Ethics in studying early years / Gary Beauchamp and Chantelle Haughton : Planning ; Selecting a topic or area of study, macro-, meso-, micro-perspectives ; Emotional involvement ; Working title and research question(s) ; Age group ; Use of time ; Arranging access to settings/permissions ; Undertaking research, behaviour in setting/relationships ; Field notes, records and storage of data ; Analysing data ; Reporting findings --
10. Safeguarding young children / Bronagh McKee : Childhood maltreatment as a social problem ; Childhood maltreatment as a professional problem ; Childhood maltreatment as a pre-service education problem ; Implications for practice --
11. Ethics when inspecting early years practice / Judi Williamson : Ofsted and its role in the early years ; Is inspection an ethical practice? ; The Ofsted inspection and regulation process in the early years sector --
12. Ethical leadership in early years settings / Trevor Male : Purpose and ethics ; The challenges to early years settings ; Building leadership capacity ; Leadership in early years settings ; The role of the formal leader.
|Responsibility:||edited by Ioanna Palaiologou.|
'This challenging and stimulating book, which addresses the deeply contentious and critical area of how we address ethical issues in research, policy and practice in early years, is timely. It will
- Early childhood education -- Research.
- Early childhood education -- Moral and ethical aspects.
- EDUCATION -- Preschool & Kindergarten.