Marlon T Riggs; Esther Rolle; Rene Collins; Derique McGee; Ernie Fosselius; Deborah Hoffmann; Mary Watkins; Calvin Roberts; Phyllis Bischof; Barbara Christian; Alan Dundes; George M Fredrickson; Bruce Jackson; Winthrop D Jordan; Leon F Litwack; Lawrence W Levine; Erskine Peters; Robert C Toll; Patricia A Turner; KQED-TV (Television station : San Francisco, Calif.),; Signifyin' Works (Firm),; California Newsreel (Firm),
|注意：||"Signifyin' Works"--Disc label.
Originally produced as a documentary film in 1987.
|餘額：||Edited by Deborah Hoffmann ; original music composed & performed by Mary Watkins ; videographer, Calvin Roberts ; consultants, Phyllis Bischof, Barbara Christian, Alan Dundes, George Fredrickson, Bruce Jackson, Winthrop Jordan, Leon Litwack, Lawrence Levine, Erskine Peters, Robert Toll, Patricia Turner.|
|表演者：||Narrated by Esther Rolle ; Bert Williams monologue written & performed by Leni Sloan ; two-man ministrel skit, Rene Collins, Derique McGee ; voices, Ernie Fosselius, Jeffrey Friedman, Janet Keller, Marlon Riggs.|
|描述：||1 videodisc (57 min.) : DVD video, sound, color with black & white sequences ; 4 3/4 in.|
|内容：||Enduring stereotypes --
Willing to serve --
Savage brute --
Shaping the mind.
|責任：||produced, written & directed by Marlon Riggs ; produced by Marlon Riggs in association with KQED.|
Covering more than one hundred years of United States history, traces the evolution of Black American caricatures and stereotypes that have fueled anti-black prejudice. Loyal Toms, carefree Sambos, faithful Mammies, grinning Coons, savage Brutes, and wide-eyed Pickaninnies roll across the screen in cartoons, feature films, popular songs, minstrel shows, advertisements, folklore, household artifacts, even children's rhymes. These dehumanizing caricatures permeated popular culture from the 1820s to the Civil Rights period and implanted themselves deep in the American psyche.
- Ethnic attitudes -- United States -- History.
- Racism -- United States -- History.
- Stereotypes (Social psychology) -- Social aspects -- United States.
- African Americans -- Caricatures and cartoons -- Social aspects.
- African Americans in the performing arts -- Social aspects.
- African Americans -- Public opinion -- History.
- Racism in motion pictures -- History.
- Racism in popular culture -- History.
- Stereotypes (Social psychology) in advertising -- United States.
- Stereotypes (Social psychology) in motion pictures.
- Stereotypes (Social psychology) in mass media.
- United States -- Race relations -- History.
- African Americans in mass media.
- African Americans -- History -- 1877-1964.