Marlon T Riggs; Esther Rolle; KQED-TV (Television station : San Francisco, Calif.); Signifyin' Works (Firm); California Newsreel (Firm)
|注意：||"Signifyin' Works"--Disc label.
Originally produced as a documentary film in 1987.
|餘額：||Videographer, Calvin Roberts ; edited by Deborah Hoffmann ; original music composed & performed by Mary Watkins.|
|表演者：||Narrated by Esther Rolle.|
|描述：||1 videodisc (57 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences ; 4 3/4 in.|
|内容：||Enduring stereotypes --
Willing to serve --
Savage brute --
Shaping the mind.
|責任：||produced by Marlon Riggs in association with KQED ; produced, written & directed by Marlon T. Riggs.|
Covering more than one hundred years of United States history, traces the evolution of Black American caricatures and stereotypes that have fueled anti-black prejudice. Loyal Toms, carefree Sambos, faithful Mammies, grinning Coons, savage Brutes, and wide-eyed Pickaninnies roll across the screen in cartoons, feature films, popular songs, minstrel shows, advertisements, folklore, household artifacts, even children's rhymes. These dehumanizing caricatures permeated popular culture from the 1820s to the Civil Rights period and implanted themselves deep in the American psyche.
- Ethnic attitudes -- United States -- History.
- Racism -- United States -- History.
- Stereotypes (Social psychology) -- Social aspects -- United States.
- African Americans -- Caricatures and cartoons -- Social aspects.
- African Americans in the performing arts -- Social aspects.
- African Americans -- Public opinion -- History.
- Racism in motion pictures -- History.
- Racism in popular culture -- History.
- Stereotypes (Social psychology) in advertising -- United States.
- Stereotypes (Social psychology) in motion pictures.
- Stereotypes (Social psychology) in mass media.
- United States -- Race relations -- History.
- African Americans in mass media.
- African Americans -- History -- 1877-1964.