Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||On jacket, the word "Excellent" has a big red "X" over the letters "Ex", making the title "Xcellent sheep."|
|Description:||245 pages ; 24 cm|
Sheep. The students ; The history ; The training ; The institutions --
Self. What is college for? ; Inventing your life ; Leadership --
Schools. Great books ; Spirit guides ; Your guide to the rankings --
Society. Welcome to the club ; The self-overcoming of the hereditary meritocracy.
|Other Titles:||Xcellent sheep|
Deresiewicz takes a sharp look at the high-pressure conveyor belt that begins with demands for perfect grades and culminates in the skewed applications received by college admissions committees. Students are losing the ability to think independently. College is supposed to be a time for self-discovery-- but the system is broken, and he offers solutions on how to fix it.
- Education, Higher -- United States.
- Universities and colleges -- United States.
- Elite (Social sciences) -- Education -- United States.
- Critical thinking -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- United States.
- Reasoning -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- United States.
- Education, Higher -- Aims and objectives -- United States.
- Education, Higher -- Social aspects -- United States.