Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||Translation of: Il Brodo Indiano.|
|Description:||193 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm|
|Other Titles:||Brodo Indiano.|
|Responsibility:||Piero Camporesi ; translated by Christopher Woodall.|
He describes how the upper classes were anxious to leave behind the heritage of the 'dark' age, and to elaborate a nimbler, more refined life-style. With this new lifestyle came a lighter, more functional diet, free of the rich meats, strong spices, and pungent and unsociable aromas (cheese, onion, garlic) which characterized the old cuisine. The new cuisine that emerged was intended to be as pleasing to the eye as to the palate: it suited sensitive dispositions, the meagre appetites of noblewomen, and was perfectly in tune with the new preference for close-fitting clothes and slimness of figure. Camporesi places these changes in taste and cuisine in their socio-cultural context, including the increasing importance of French cultural models in the world of food and drink, and describes the growing interest taken in the world outside Europe, especially China and the Americas, where most of the exotic additions to the European diet originated.
Exotic Brew reconstructs an important chapter in the history of mentalities and taste. It will be welcomed by students and researchers from a wide range of disciplines - social and cultural history, the Enlightenment, the history of medicine - as well as anyone interested in the history of food and drink.
- Food habits -- Italy -- History -- 18th century.
- Food habits -- Europe -- History -- 18th century.
- Diet -- Italy -- History -- 18th century.
- Diet -- Europe -- History -- 18th century.
- Habitudes alimentaires -- Italie -- Histoire -- 18e siècle.
- Habitudes alimentaires -- Europe -- Histoire -- 18e siècle.
- Alimentation -- Italie -- Histoire -- 18e siècle.
- Alimentation -- Europe -- Histoire -- 18e siècle.
- Food habits.
- Verlichting (cultuurgeschiedenis)
- Alimentation - Europe - Histoire - 18e siècle.
- Alimentation - Italie - Histoire - 18e siècle.
- Habitudes alimentaires - Europe - Histoire - 18e siècle.
- Habitudes alimentaires - Italie - Histoire - 18e siècle.
- Food -- History
- Drinks -- History