Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Wellesley Laud Brown; Artemus L Gates; Martin Johnson; Thomas A Lamont; W S Lewis; Robert Abercrombie Lovett; Endicott Peabody; Daniel Eleazer Pomeroy; Kenneth Rose Smith; Lowell Thomas; Frederick Trubee Davison|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Frederick Trubee Davison
|Description:||10.5 linear ft. (21 boxes)|
The aspect of his life most thoroughly documented is his organization of a Yale flying unit, which was formally recognized by the Navy in 1917 for action in the war. The records include correspondence, financial and legal papers relating to the formation and operation of the unit, maps, photographs, ephemera and printed articles about the unit. A series of radio broadcasts (1941) on its history were recorded on phonograph discs (now in the Historical Sound Recordings of the Sterling Memorial Library) and slides made in 1966 in connection with a 50th anniversary celebration are also in the papers. Although his political career as a member of the New York State Assembly (1922-1926) and as Assistant Secretary of War (Air) from 1926 to 1933 is reflected in only a small amount of correspondence and speeches, he was in touch with notable public figures. Among them are Robert E. Byrd, Calvin Coolidge, Charles G. Dawes, Thomas Dewey, Dwight Eisenhower, Herbert Hoover, Charles A. Lindbergh, Douglas MacArthur, Robert Moses, Ernie Pyle, Eddie Rickenbacker, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Theodore Roosevelt.
For further documentation of his political career, see the collection of 47 scrapbooks of newspaper clippings (1921-1931). These have been filmed as microfilm HM 142. Among the family papers is biographical material on Davison's father-in-law, Endicott Peabody, his mother Kate Trubee Davison and family photographs.
- Brown, Wellesley Laud.
- Gates, Artemus L., -- 1895-1976.
- Johnson, Martin, -- 1884-1937.
- Lamont, Thomas A.
- Lewis, W. S. -- (Wilmarth Sheldon), -- 1895-1979.
- Lovett, Robert Abercrombie.
- Peabody, Endicott, -- 1857-1944.
- Pomeroy, Daniel Eleazer, -- 1868-1965.
- Smith, Kenneth Rose, -- 1894-1976.
- Thomas, Lowell, -- 1892-1981.
- Davison, Frederick Trubee, -- 1896-1974.
- American Museum of Natural History.
- National Crime Commission.
- Republican Party (N.Y.)
- United States. -- Navy -- Aviation.
- Yale University. -- Class of 1918.
- Big game hunting.
- Elephant hunting -- Africa.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Aerial operations, American.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives.
- New York (State) -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950.