|类型/形式：||Criticism, interpretation, etc
|提及的人：||Oscar Wilde; Oscar Wilde; Oscar Wilde; Oscar Wilde; Oscar Wilde; Oscar Wilde|
|描述：||xi, 228 p. ; 23 cm.|
|内容：||Child and man : the development of a Catholic mind --
Faith and reason : the Bible, the Catholic church and Wilde's scandalous writings --
Body and soul : nature, the host and folklore in The picture of Dorian Gray --
Religion and politics : Wilde's social philosophy --
Art and life : the politics of ritualism in The importance of being Earnest --
Realism and romance : between Protestantism and Catholicism in Wilde's final writings.
|丛书名：||Palgrave studies in nineteenth-century writing and culture.|
"This energetic and original book examines in detail the relationship between faith, theology, religious history and national politics in the major writings of Oscar Wilde. It focuses in particular on Wilde's lifelong attraction to Catholicism, an attraction originating in his time spent as a boy in the west of Ireland. Killeen also closely examines the influence of Wilde's Protestant heritage on his work: his antagonism towards this heritage is closely related to the narrative modes he chose to work in, and the aesthetic philosophy he espoused. Overall, the book demonstrates how Wilde combined his religious leanings with a reconfiguration of Nationalism, while an Irish 'exile' in London. For Wilde, Catholicism and Irish Nationalism were interdependent projects that operated as the fields of force energising his writing. Providing an entirely fresh critical perspective on his writing (including The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Importance of Being Earnest), this new study will be of interest to all students and scholars of Wilde."--BOOK JACKET.
- Wilde, Oscar, -- 1854-1900 -- Religion.
- Christianity and literature -- Ireland -- History -- 19th century.
- Literature and folklore -- Ireland -- History -- 19th century.
- Wilde, Oscar, -- 1854-1900 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Wilde, Oscar, -- 1854-1900 -- Homes and haunts -- Ireland.
- Wilde, Oscar, -- 1854-1900 -- Knowledge -- Folklore.
- Catholics -- Ireland -- Intellectual life.
- Christianity in literature.
- Wilde, Oscar.
- Katholizismus (Motiv)
- Volkskultur (Motiv)
- Wilde, Oscar, -- 1854-1900.
- Catholics -- Intellectual life.
- Christianity and literature.
- Literature and folklore.