Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Records and correspondence
|Named Person:||Barnard Elliott Baker; Mary Butler Baker; Richard Bohun Baker; Richard Bohun Baker; Edmund Bohun; Amarinthea Elliott; Barnard Elliott; John Drayton-Grimke; Charles-Greville Montagu, Lord; Baker family.; Bohun family.; Drayton family.; Elliott family.; Hyrne family.|
|Material Type:||Biography, Manuscript|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||ca. 1, 100 items.|
Correspondence (1700-1907) of members of the Baker, Bohun, Elliott families and others concerns family matters, a 1795 Baker-Bohun family estate dispute, a landlord-tenant dispute over Coosawhatchie farmland, family history, John Drayton-Grimke's rectorship, and other matters. Correspondents include William Bohun (of Beccles, England, died 1785); Amarinthia Elliott; Richard Bohun Baker (1736-1783); Richard Bohun Baker (1757-1837); Mary Butler Baker (daughter of Richard Bohun Baker, 1757-1837); and Barnard Elliott Baker (d. 1864). Includes a letter (1773) from S.C. Governor Charles Montagu to Barnard Elliott (d. 1778) regarding Montagu's resignation, voyage to London, and the possibility of war. Letters of Barnard Elliott (d. 1864) to his family concern military service at Ft. Sumter, his life as a prisoner of war at Point Lookout (Md.), and other matters.
Business and legal papers (1795-1914) include wills, affidavits, and other documents pertaining to a lawsuit on behalf of descendants of William Bohun of Beccles, England, as well as bonds, land grants, leases, plats, estate papers of Amarinthia Elliott, and Revolutionary War claims of Richard B. Baker (1736-1783).
Another group of papers (1787-1844) includes records (1812-1822) of the legal firm of McCormick & Egan (later Grimke & McCormick); slave records; and a fragment (1787-1837) of a "Sloop Book" containing accounts for ship construction expenses and for items shipped on the sloop Harriett and others. Receipts (1751-1900) are mostly those of Richard Bohun Baker (1736-1783) and Barnard Elliott (d. 1778), for dry goods, taxes, slaves, and other expenditures.
Genealogical materials (1736-ca. 1935) pertain to the Baker, Bohun, Drayton, Elliott, Hyrne, and related families. Photographs (n.d.) are of Baker and Elliott family members and Archdale Hall plantation house after the 1886 earthquake. Other items include watercolor paintings of landscapes and other subjects.
- Baker, Barnard Elliott, -- d. 1864.
- Baker, Mary Butler, -- d. 1861.
- Baker, Richard Bohun, -- 1736-1783.
- Baker, Richard Bohun, -- 1757-1837.
- Bohun, Edmund, -- 1645-1699.
- Elliott, Amarinthea -- Estate.
- Elliott, Barnard, -- d. 1778.
- Drayton-Grimke, John, -- 1857-1895.
- Montagu, Charles-Greville, -- Lord, -- 1741-1784.
- Baker family.
- Bohun family.
- Drayton family.
- Elliott family.
- Hyrne family.
- McCormick & Egan -- Records and correspondence.
- Estates (Law) -- South Carolina.
- Prisoners of war -- Maryland.
- Sloops -- South Carolina.
- Archdale Hall Plantation (Dorchester County, S.C.)
- Coosawhatchie (S.C.)
- South Carolina -- History.
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Claims.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.