Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Criticism, interpretation, etc
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Steere, Elizabeth, 1981-
Female servant and sensation fiction
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9781137365262 1137365269 9781349473700 1349473707|
|Description:||1 online resource.|
|Contents:||Introduction: "Kitchen literature" --
"Let nothing ever induce you to read novels": servants and sensationalism in the mid-nineteenth century --
"Merely telling the truth": servants' stories in Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights --
"No human being ever was created for this": the servant victim in the works of Wilkie Collins --
"Privileged spies": the criminal servant in Lady Audley's Secret --
"She had her rôle to play": East Lynne and the servant actress --
"We will still be husband and wife": the servant as spouse in Gaskell's The grey woman --
"The stuff of lurid fiction": sensation fiction in the twenty-first century.
|Responsibility:||Elizabeth Steere, Lecturer, University of West Georgia, USA.|
- English fiction -- 19th century -- History and criticism.
- Household employees in literature.
- Valets in literature.
- Women in literature.
- Home economics in literature.
- Women and literature -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
- Popular literature -- Great Britain -- History and criticism.
- Middle class women -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
- Literature and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
- LITERARY CRITICISM -- European -- English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh.
- English fiction.
- Literature and society.
- Middle class women.
- Popular literature.
- Women and literature.
- Great Britain.
- Social classes in literature.
- Sensationalism in literature.
- English fiction -- History and criticism -- 19th century.
- Literary studies: c 1800 to c 1900 -- English.
- Literary studies: fiction, novelists & prose writers -- English.
- Literary studies: c 1800 to c 1900 -- English -- 19th century, c 1800 to c 1899.
- Literary studies: fiction, novelists & prose writers -- English -- 19th century, c 1800 to c 1899.