|描述：||xviii, 558 pages : map ; 25 cm|
|内容：||Deadly choices --
Here the author, a physician and reporter provides a landmark investigation of patient deaths at a New Orleans hospital ravaged by Hurricane Katrina, and a suspenseful portrayal of the quest for truth and justice. She reconstructs 5 days at Memorial Medical Center and draws the reader into the lives of those who struggled mightily to survive and to maintain life amid chaos. After Katrina struck and the floodwaters rose, the power failed, and the heat climbed, exhausted caregivers chose to designate certain patients last for rescue. Months later, several health professionals faced criminal allegations that they deliberately injected numerous patients with drugs to hasten their deaths. She unspools the mystery of what happened in those days, of a hospital fighting for its life and into a conversation about the most terrifying form of health care rationing. In this book, she exposes the hidden dilemmas of end-of-life care and reveals just how ill-prepared we are in America for the impact of large-scale disasters, and how we can do better.
- Memorial Medical Center (New Orleans, La.)
- Disaster hospitals -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- Case studies.
- Disaster medicine -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- Case studies.
- Health facilities -- Louisiana -- Administration -- Case studies.
- Forensic pathology -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- Case studies.
- Hurricane Katrina, 2005.
- Hospitals -- history -- New Orleans.
- Cyclonic Storms -- history -- New Orleans.
- Disaster Medicine -- history -- New Orleans.
- Forensic Pathology -- history -- New Orleans.
- Newly Acquired Library Resources 2013(299 资料)
由 bevdchar 已更新 2014-06-16
- 2013LAbooks(199 资料)
由 esp1061 已更新 2014-06-10
- New Books(206 资料)
由 mvclibrary 已更新 大约三周前
- New Books GEN(71 资料)
由 BrookensLibrary 已更新 大约两周前
- To Read(275 资料)
由 eiratansey 已更新 大约6天前
- Nursing 2013-14(130 资料)
由 lisaro 已更新 2014-05-15
- Health Care Books(86 资料)
由 phdlibrarian 已更新 2014-03-11