Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Robert Fortune; Robert Fortune|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||Originally published: London : Hutchinson, 2009, with title For all the tea in China : espionage, empire, and the secret formula for the world's favourite drink.|
|Description:||x, 261 pages ; 22 cm|
Min River, China, 1845 --
East India House, City of London, January 12, 1848 --
Chelsea Physic Garden, May 7, 1848 --
Shanghai to Hangzhou, September 1848 --
Zhejiang Province near Hangzhou, October 1848 --
A green tea factory, Yangtze River, October 1848 --
House of Wang, Anhui Province, November 1848 --
Shanghai at the Lunar New Year, January 1849 --
Calcutta Botanic Garden, March 1849 --
Saharanpur, North-West Provinces, June 1849 --
Ningbo to Bohea, the Great Tea Road, May and June 1849 --
Bohea, July 1849 --
Pucheng, September 1849 --
Shanghai, Autumn 1849 --
Shanghai, February 1851 --
Himalayan Mountains, May 1851 --
Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield Lock, 1852 --
Tea for the Victorians --
WorldCat User Reviews (2)
Good Read - plus gentle introduction to China
In 1839, the local Chinese government in Guangzhou (Canton) seized opium and destroyed it. The consequences - Opium Wars, foreign treaty ports, the eventual fall of a dynasty - are in some ways still being played out, for example...
- 1 of 1 people found this review helpful. Did it help you?
Corporate Espionage and Theft ~ All for a Good Cuppa!
Well, not just for a good cup of tea; more to keep and expand Britain's world supremecy in the nineteenth century. Sarah Rose's exploration into the transplanting of tea from China to India is filled with a wide variety of topics, as well as unforseen outcomes. The book covers topics from...
- Was this review helpful to you?
- Tea trade -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
- Tea trade -- China -- History -- 19th century.
- Tea -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
- Tea -- China -- History -- 19th century.
- Fortune, Robert, -- 1813-1880 -- Travel -- China.
- Spies -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Business intelligence -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
- East India Company -- History -- 19th century.
- China -- Description and travel.
- Himalaya Mountains -- Description and travel.
- Fortune, Robert, -- 1813-1880.
- East India Company.
- Business intelligence.
- Tea trade.
- Great Britain.
- Himalaya Mountains.
User lists with this item (4)
- Microhistory. A look at culture through a narrow scope.(101 items)
by richlandlibrary updated 2014-05-07
- HistoryLessons(1 items)
by IsaacMadril updated 2014-01-30
- Business items February 2012(99 items)
by rperret updated 2012-03-05
- UI Library Business Items February 2012(158 items)
by rperret updated 2012-02-06