Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
For her own good.
New York : Anchor Books, 2005
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Computer File, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Barbara Ehrenreich; Deirdre English
|Description:||xx, 410 pages ; 22 cm|
|Contents:||1. In the ruins of patriarchy. The woman question ; The new masculinism ; Feminist and domestic solutions ; Science and the triumph of domesticity --
The rise of the experts. 2. Witches, healers, and gentleman doctors. The witch hunts ; The conflict over healing comes to America ; Healing as a commodity ; The popular health movement ; Lady doctors join the competition --
3. Science and the ascent of the experts. The moral salvation of medicine ; The laboratory mystique ; Medicine and the big money ; Exorcising the midwives --
The reign of the experts. 4. The sexual politics of sickness. A mysterious epidemic ; Marriage : the sexual-economic relation ; Femininity as a disease ; Men evolve, women devolve ; The dictatorship of the ovaries ; The uterus vs. the brain ; The rest cure ; Subverting the sick role : hysteria --
5. Microbes and the manufacture of housework. The domestic void ; The romance of the home ; Domestic scientists put the house in order ; The crusade against germs ; The manufacture of new tasks ; Feminism embraces domestic science ; "Right living" in the slums ; Domesticity without the science --
6. The Century of the child. Discovery of the child ; The "child question" and the woman question ; The mothers' movement ; The experts move in --
7. Motherhood as pathology. The expert allies with the child ; The doctors demand permissiveness ; Libidinal motherhood ; Bad mothers ; "Momism" and the crisis in American masculinity ; The obligatory Oedipus complex ; Communism and the crisis of overpermissiveness --
The fall of the experts. 8. From masochistic motherhood to the sexual marketplace. Mid-century masochism ; Gynecology as psychotherapy ; Revolt of the masochistic mom ; The rise of the single girl ; Spread of the singles culture ; Popular psychology and the single lifestyle --
Afterword : the end of the romance (2004).
|Responsibility:||Barbara Ehrenreich and Deirdre English.|
- Women -- United States -- Social conditions.
- Maternal and infant welfare -- United States -- History.
- Women's health services -- Social aspects -- United States -- History.
- Medical ethics -- United States -- History.
- Women's rights -- United States -- History.
- Women -- history.
- Women's Health Services -- history.
- Maternal Health Services -- history.
- Ethics, Medical -- history.
- Women's Rights -- history.
- History, 19th Century.
- History, 20th Century.
- United States.
- Maternal and infant welfare.
- Medical ethics.
- Women -- Social conditions.
- Women's health services -- Social aspects.
- Women's rights.