Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Personal narratives, Confederate
|Named Person:||Ford family.; Jacob Ford; Arthur P Ford; Andrew Hasell Heyward; Philip Porcher|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Later items consist chiefly of post-Civil War letters, July 1874 - July 1877, from Marion Johnstone Ford to her husband, Arthur Peronneau Ford, during his travels to New York and Europe. Letters discuss family news and everyday activities, the Centennial celebration in Charleston, June - July 1876, and burglary attempts at Mrs. Ford's home and her disputes with African-American domestic laborers, June - Aug. 1876.
Other items include letter, 23 May 1875, Louise G. North to Arthur Ford, commenting on church desegregation; lay reader's license, 31 July 1884, issued to Arthur Ford by John W. Beckwith, Bishop of Georgia; notarized statement, 2 Sept. 1885, re death of Lt. Philip Porcher (USN) who was lost at sea and presumed drowned on 10 Mar. 1864; letter, 28 July 1907, Andrew Hasell Heyward, Lucknow plantation, Levys P.O., S.C., to Arthur P. Ford, offering condolences on the death of Marion Ford; and undated manuscript of biographical information re Jacob Ford born 7 Sept. 1833 on Sullivan's Island.
Also includes manuscript, undated, pp. 3-22 of "Rose Blankets," memoir published by Arthur and Marion Ford in 1905 book Life in the Confederate Army; being personal experiences of a private soldier in the Confederate Army.
- Ford family.
- Ford, Jacob, -- 1833-
- Ford, Arthur P. -- Correspondence.
- Heyward, Andrew Hasell -- Correspondence.
- Porcher, Philip, -- 1835-1864 -- Death and burial.
- South Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- Reconstruction -- South Carolina.
- African Americans -- South Carolina -- Charleston.
- Race relations -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Military law -- Confederate States of America.
- United States -- Centennial celebrations, etc.
- Charleston (S.C.) -- Social life and customs.
- Charleston (S.C.) -- History -- Siege, 1863.
- New York (N.Y.) -- Description and travel.
- Europe -- Description and travel.