Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Criticism, interpretation, etc
|Named Person:||Francisco Goya; Francisco Goya; Francisco de Goya; Francisco de Goya; Francisco Goya; Francisco José ((de)) Goya y Lucientes; Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Janis A Tomlinson
|Description:||320 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 30 cm|
|Contents:||I. The Beginnings in Saragossa --
II. Goya in Madrid --
III. New Patrons, New Projects --
IV. Between Commission and Caprice --
V. Los Caprichos --
VI. Painting in the Spotlight --
VII. Imagery of Atrocity --
VIII. The Artist in his Studio --
IX. The Quinta del sordo --
X. The Bordeaux Years --
XI. Goya after Goya.
For most of his career he painted for the Spanish Court, providing glittering portraits and tapestry designs for the royal palaces. Yet he also painted and etched some of the most compelling images of social unrest and personal alienation ever created, leaving a lasting impression on avant-garde artists from Manet to Picasso as well as capturing the popular imagination.
In this authoritative, up-to-date and beautifully illustrated survey of Goya's career, Janis Tomlinson explores the dichotomy that has led the artist to be called the last of the Old Masters and the first of the Moderns. She looks at the complete range of his output of oil paintings, frescoes, drawings and prints, placing Goya's life and work in the social and political context of the turbulent times through which he lived.
In doing so she has written a book that does justice to the achievement of one of Europe's greatest artists.
- Goya, Francisco, -- 1746-1828 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Spain -- Kings and rulers -- Art patronage.
- Goya, Francisco, -- 1746-1828 -- Political and social views.
- Goya, Francisco de, -- 1746-1828 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Goya, Francisco de, -- 1746-1828 -- Pictorial works.
- Goya, Francisco, -- 1746-1828
- Kings and rulers -- Art patronage.
- Political and social views.
- Goya y Lucientes, Francisco José ((de))
- Goya y Lucientes, Francisco José de, -- 1746-1828.