Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Pastels (visual works)
|Named Person:||James Madison Alden; George Henry Boughton; E A(Elbridge Ayer) Burbank; Johnny Kit Elswa; James Montgomery Flagg; Sanford Robinson Gifford; Eastman Johnson; Joseph Kehoe; Hans Kleiber; Jervis McEntee; William Forsyth McIlwraith; James Henry Moser; E S Paxson; Lute Pease; Cleveland Rockwell; James Everett Stuart; James Gilchrist Swan; Peter Peterson Toft; Worthington Whittredge; Daniel Winter; Charles Erskine Scott Wood|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Manuscript, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Book, Internet Resource, Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Franz Stenzel; Kathryn M(Kathryn Mathison) Stenzel
|Description:||88.49 linear ft. (65 boxes) + 2 rolls, 37 broadsides, 47 art storage items.|
The collection also includes small groups of associated papers belonging to James Gilchrist Swan, Jervis McEntee, E. S. Paxson, and Lute Pease. There is artwork, correspondence, writings, printed material, photographs, and miscellaneous documents by and about James Gilchrist Swan (1818-1900), an early Pacific Northwest settler, ethnographer and artist. The artwork includes 11 works by Johnny Kit Elswa, Swan's Haida Indian interpreter. Many of Swan's art, correspondence and writings reflect his study of Haida and Makah Indians and the history of the Pacific Northwest. McEntee (1828-1891), a landscape painter and member of the Hudson River School, is represented not by artwork but by correspondence and printed material. His correspondence is with fellow artists George Henry Boughton, Sanford Robinson Gifford, Eastman Johnson, and Worthington Whittredge. E. S. Paxson, a Montana artist of frontiersmen and Native Americans, is represented by artwork, printed material, photographs and portraits, and other papers. Lute Pease (1869-1963), who worked as a reporter in Seattle and Portland, editor of the Pacific Monthly, and as editorial page cartoonist, is represented by artwork, printed material, photographs, and correspondence.
- Alden, James Madison, -- 1834-1922.
- Boughton, George Henry, -- 1834-1905.
- Burbank, E. A(Elbridge Ayer), -- 1858-1949.
- Elswa, Johnny Kit.
- Flagg, James Montgomery, -- 1877-1960.
- Gifford, Sanford Robinson, -- 1823-1880.
- Johnson, Eastman, -- 1824-1906.
- Kehoe, Joseph, -- 1890-1959.
- Kleiber, Hans, -- b. 1897.
- McEntee, Jervis, -- 1828-1891.
- McIlwraith, William Forsyth.
- Moser, James Henry, -- 1854-1913.
- Paxson, E. S., -- 1852-1919.
- Pease, Lute, -- 1869-1963.
- Rockwell, Cleveland, -- 1837-1907.
- Stuart, James Everett.
- Swan, James Gilchrist.
- Toft, Peter Peterson.
- Whittredge, Worthington, -- 1820-1910.
- Winter, Daniel.
- Wood, Charles Erskine Scott, -- 1852-1944.
- Haida Indians.
- Indians of North America -- Northwest, Pacific.
- Indians of North America -- Washington (State)
- Makah Indians.
- Pioneers -- Washington (State)
- Northwest, Pacific -- Pictorial works.
- West (U.S.) -- Pictorial works.