skip to content
Free lunch : how the wealthiest Americans enrich themselves at government expense (and stick you with the bill) Preview this item
ClosePreview this item
Checking...

Free lunch : how the wealthiest Americans enrich themselves at government expense (and stick you with the bill)

Author: David Johnston
Publisher: New York : Portfolio, 2007.
Edition/Format:   Book : EnglishView all editions and formats
Database:WorldCat
Summary:
How does a strong and growing economy lend itself to job uncertainty, debt, bankruptcy, and economic fear for a vast number of Americans? This book answers this great economic question, revealing how today's government policies and spending benefit the wealthy. Johnston shows how, under the guise of deregulation, a whole new set of regulations quietly went into effect--thwarting competition, depressing wages, and  Read more...
Rating:

based on 1 rating(s) 1 with a review

Subjects
More like this

 

Find a copy in the library

&AllPage.SpinnerRetrieving; Finding libraries that hold this item...

Details

Material Type: Internet resource
Document Type: Book, Internet Resource
All Authors / Contributors: David Johnston
ISBN: 9781591841913 1591841917
OCLC Number: 173502710
Description: viii, 323 p. ; 24 cm.
Contents: Preface --
ch. 1. Without even asking --
ch. 2. Mr. Reagan's question --
ch. 3. Trust and consequences --
ch. 4. Chinese magnetism --
ch. 5. Seizing the commons --
ch. 6. Pride and profits --
ch. 7. Your land is my land --
ch. 8. Bounty hunters --
ch. 9. Goin' fishin' --
ch. 10. Just say no --
ch. 11. Beauty and the bounty --
ch. 12. False alarm --
ch. 13. Home robbery --
ch. 14. Indentured scholars --
ch. 15. Selling the furniture --
ch. 16. Suffer the little children --
ch. 17. Trojan horse --
ch. 18. Sightless sheriffs --
ch. 19. Paying twice --
ch. 20. Rising snow --
ch. 21. Unhealthy economics --
ch. 22. Less for more --
ch. 23. Hooked on drugs --
ch. 24. "I'm being trapped" --
ch. 25. None dare call it stealing --
ch. 26. Not since Hoover --
Conclusions : What to do?
Responsibility: David Cay Johnston.
More information:

Abstract:

How does a strong and growing economy lend itself to job uncertainty, debt, bankruptcy, and economic fear for a vast number of Americans? This book answers this great economic question, revealing how today's government policies and spending benefit the wealthy. Johnston shows how, under the guise of deregulation, a whole new set of regulations quietly went into effect--thwarting competition, depressing wages, and rewarding misconduct. Revelations include: how we ended up with the most expensive yet inefficient health-care system in the world; how homeowners' title insurance became a costly, deceitful, yet almost invisible oligopoly; how our government gives hidden subsidies for posh golf courses; how baseball team owners will collect more than $1.3 billion in public funds. In these instances and more, Johnston shows how the lobbyists and lawyers representing the most powerful 0.1 percent of Americans manipulated our government at the expense of the other 99.9 percent.--From publisher description.

Table of Contents:

by cwarden (WorldCat user on 2008-02-27)

Preface -- Without even asking -- Mr. Reagan's question -- Trust and consequences -- Chinese magnetism -- Seizing the commons -- Pride and profits -- Your land is my land -- Bounty hunters -- Goin' fishin' -- Just say no -- Beauty and the bounty -- False alarm -- Home robbert -- Indentured scholars -- Selling the furniture -- Suffer the little children -- Trojan horse -- Sightless sheriffs -- Paying twice -- Rising snow -- Unhealthy economics -- Less for more -- Hooked on drugs -- "I'm being trapped" -- None dare call it stealing -- Not since Hoover -- Conclusion: What to do? -- Acknowledgments -- Notes -- Index.

Reviews

User-contributed reviews

WorldCat User Reviews (1)

nike free 3.0 is your choice on the http://www.nikefree30us.com/

by nikefree30us (WorldCat user published 2012-06-08) Very Good Permalink

A man white woman one, open the door and <a href="http://www.nikefree30us.com">Cheap nike free run</a>

<a href="http://www.nikefree30us.com">Nike Free Run</a>

<a href="http://www.nikefree30us.com">nike free 3.0</a>

<a href="http://www.nikefree30us.com">nike...
Read more...  Read more...

  • 0 of 1 people found this review helpful. Did it help you? 
  •   
Retrieving GoodReads reviews...
Retrieving DOGObooks reviews...

Tags

Be the first.
Confirm this request

You may have already requested this item. Please select Ok if you would like to proceed with this request anyway.

Linked Data


<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/173502710>
library:oclcnum"173502710"
library:placeOfPublication
library:placeOfPublication
rdf:typeschema:MediaObject
rdf:typeschema:Book
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:creator
schema:datePublished"2007"
schema:description"How does a strong and growing economy lend itself to job uncertainty, debt, bankruptcy, and economic fear for a vast number of Americans? This book answers this great economic question, revealing how today's government policies and spending benefit the wealthy. Johnston shows how, under the guise of deregulation, a whole new set of regulations quietly went into effect--thwarting competition, depressing wages, and rewarding misconduct. Revelations include: how we ended up with the most expensive yet inefficient health-care system in the world; how homeowners' title insurance became a costly, deceitful, yet almost invisible oligopoly; how our government gives hidden subsidies for posh golf courses; how baseball team owners will collect more than $1.3 billion in public funds. In these instances and more, Johnston shows how the lobbyists and lawyers representing the most powerful 0.1 percent of Americans manipulated our government at the expense of the other 99.9 percent.--From publisher description."@en
schema:exampleOfWork<http://worldcat.org/entity/work/id/911930906>
schema:inLanguage"en"
schema:name"Free lunch : how the wealthiest Americans enrich themselves at government expense (and stick you with the bill)"@en
schema:numberOfPages"323"
schema:publication
schema:publisher
schema:workExample
wdrs:describedby

Content-negotiable representations

Close Window

Please sign in to WorldCat 

Don't have an account? You can easily create a free account.