Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Mario Savio; Mario Savio|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780195182934 0195182936 9780199392902 0199392900|
|Description:||xiv, 512 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations ; 25 cm.|
|Contents:||The education of an American radical. Child of war ; The making of a civil rights activist ; Freedom summer --
Avatar of student protest : leading the free speech movement. From polite protest to the first sit-in ; The police car blockade ; Consolidating the movement and negotiating for free speech ; "We almost lost" : the FSM in crisis ; Speaking out and sitting in ; "Free speech at last" --
After the revolution : a voice lost and found. Descending from leadership ; Battling back ; Dying in the saddle --
In his own words : a selection of Mario Savio's speeches and writing. Valedictory ; Bodies upon the gears ; An end to history ; Questioning the Vietnam War ; Beyond the Cold War ; Resisting Reaganism and war in Central America ; The second generation ; Building a compassionate community ; Their values and ours ; A moment to move against class-ridden barbarism ; California at the crossroads : social strife or social unity? ; In defense of affirmative action : the case against Proposition 209.
Robby Cohen has written a gripping account of the Berkeley Free Speech Movement that took place in 1964, and the role of the student leader Mario Savio in that movement. Growing up in a working-class
- Savio, Mario.
- Political activists -- California -- Biography.
- Free Speech Movement (Berkeley, Calif.) -- History.
- Student movements -- California -- Berkeley -- History.
- College students -- Political activity -- California -- Berkeley -- History.
- University of California, Berkeley -- Students -- Biography.
- Free Speech Movement (Berkeley, Calif.)
- University of California, Berkeley.
- College students -- Political activity.
- Political activists.
- Student movements.
- California -- Berkeley.