Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
From fashion to politics.
Boston : Academic Studies Press, 2012
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||1 online resource (viii, 152 p.) : ill.|
|Contents:||A state is born: Hadassah adjusts to the new State of Israel and the political complexities of homeland --
A 'bulwark against communism': Hadassah's political activism in foreign policy during the 1950s --
Jewish American women in Action --
'Ema" or 'conscious Jewess": Jewish maternalism, activism, and gender roles in the 1950s --
Fashioning gender and Jewishness: Hadassah, fashion shows, and beauty culture in the post-World-War II era --
From the Six-Day War to nuclear disarmament: Hadassah and foreign policy in the 1960s.
|Other Titles:||From fashion shows to politics:
Hadassah and Jewish American women in the post World War II era
Hadassah: the Womens Zionist organization of America, has wielded power in the halls of American political institutions and in the minds of many Jews in the United States. This book enriches our understanding of both modern Jewish history and American womens history. Hadassah is important not only for what it tells us about women but also for what it reveals about Jewish history and politics, about Zionism, and about America. In the post-World War II era, Hadassah played a significant role in shaping Jewish womens political action and identity. Widely known for its work in Israel, Hadassah played a central role in shaping the way generations of American Jewish women thought about themselves and about their involvement on the American political scene.
- Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America -- History.
- Jewish women -- United States -- Societies and clubs -- History -- 20th century.
- Zionism -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Jewish women -- Political activity -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Jewish women -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / General
- Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America.
- Jewish women.
- Jewish women -- Political activity.
- Jewish women -- Societies and clubs.
- United States.
- Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America -- History