From humanism to the humanities.
Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press, 1986
Anthony Grafton; Lisa Jardine
|描述：||xvi, 224 pages ; 24 cm|
1. The school of Guarino ---
2. Women humanities ---
3. Humanism in the universities 1 ---
4. Humanities in the Universities ---
5. The new subject ---
6. Northern methodical humanism ---
7. Pragmatic humanism ----
|其他题名：||Education and the liberal arts in fifteenth- and sixteenth-century Europe|
|责任：||Anthony Grafton & Lisa Jardine.|
Anthony Grafton is professor of history at Princeton University. Lisa Jardine is fellow of Jesus College and university lecturer in English, Cambridge University. This book is the result of a 10-year collaboration begun when both were visiting scholars at Cornell University and discovered they shared similar approaches to the history of education. [...] At the outset, the authors situate their enterprise within the broader movement of historians of education who reject the simpleminded notion that Renaissance humanists triumphed over medieval educational models by the sheer force of the intellectual freedom their ideas unleashed. Through case studies that examine leading early humanist teachers and representative classroom materials, Grafton and Jardine argue that humanist education triumphed neither because it was more creative than medieval education nor because it was better suited to the practical needs of fifteenth-century Europe. Rather, they argue, it triumphed because it better matched the new European society that was taking shape, which the authors characterize as more closed, hereditary, elitist, and in search of models of culture that would produce docility toward authority. -- from http://www.jstor.org/ (Jan. 15, 2016).
- Education, Humanistic -- Europe -- History.
- Education -- Europe -- History -- 15th century.
- Education -- Europe -- History -- 16th century.
- Humanism -- History.
- Education humaniste -- Europe -- Histoire.
- Education -- Europe -- Histoire -- 15ème siècle.
- Education -- Europe -- Histoire -- 16ème siècle.
- Arts libéraux (education -- Europe -- Histoire.
- Humanisme -- Histoire.
- Education, Humanistic.
- Humanisme (cultuurgeschiedenis)
- Artes liberales.
- Arts libéraux -- Europe -- 16e siècle.
- Arts libéraux -- Europe -- 15e siècle.
- Humanisme -- Europe -- 16e siècle.
- Humanisme -- Europe -- 15e siècle.
- Éducation humaniste -- Europe -- Histoire.
- Education, Humanistic -- Europe -- History
- Humanism -- History