Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Margaret Gardiner Beeckman; James Buchanan; William Maxwell Evarts; Millard Fillmore; Alexander Gardiner; David Lyon Gardiner; David Gardiner; Juliana McLachlan Gardiner; Phoebe Gardiner Horsford; A J Mathewson; John A Semple; Tazewell Taylor; D Gardiner Tyler; John Tyler; Julia Gardiner Tyler; Gardner family.; Tyler family.|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Book|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||7.50 linear ft.|
A number of the letters are exchanges between members of the Tyler family and John Tyler concerning his courtship of Julia Gardiner. Most of the letters were written to Julia Gardiner Tyler and include nearly 200 letters from her eldest son, David, as well as letters from her mother, Juliana McLachlan Gardiner, her sister, Margaret Gardiner Beeckman, and from other of her children. Also in the papers are ca. 650 family letters sent to her mother and sister. The family correspondence discusses social and political life in New York, Washington and Virginia, where Tyler retired with his wife after his presidency. John Tyler is represented only by a small number of letters, mainly on his intended marriage and some fifty-five letters sent to him at the White House on minor matters. Financial and legal documents, printed matter and memorabilia relating to Julia Gardiner Tyler are also in the papers together with a chronicle of Easthampton written by a member of the Gardiner family.
- Beeckman, Margaret Gardiner, -- 1822-1857.
- Buchanan, James, -- 1791-1868.
- Evarts, William Maxwell, -- 1818-1901.
- Fillmore, Millard, -- 1800-1874.
- Gardiner, Alexander, -- 1818-1851.
- Gardiner, David Lyon, -- 1816-1892.
- Gardiner, David, -- 1784-1844.
- Gardiner, Juliana McLachlan, -- 1799-1864.
- Horsford, Phoebe Gardiner.
- Mathewson, A.J.
- Semple, John A.
- Taylor, Tazewell.
- Tyler, D. Gardiner -- (David Gardiner), -- 1846-1927.
- Tyler, John, -- 1790-1862.
- Tyler, Julia Gardiner, -- 1820-1889.
- Gardner family.
- Tyler family.
- Presidents' spouses -- United States.
- East Hampton (N.Y.) -- History.
- New York (N.Y.) -- Social life and customs.
- New York (State)
- Southern States.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 19th century.
- Virginia -- Social life and customs.
- Washington (D.C.) -- Social life and customs.