Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Engelhardt, Carroll L.
Gateway to the northern plains.
Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press, ©2007
|Material Type:||Government publication, State or province government publication, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Carroll L Engelhardt
|ISBN:||9780816649563 0816649561 9780816649570 081664957X|
|Description:||xx, 366 pages : illustrations, maps ; 27 cm|
|Contents:||Railroads at Red River --
At the crossing : the incorporation of Fargo and Moorhead --
Booster dreams : Henry Bruns and Moorhead's collapse --
Boomtown on the prairie : Fargo becomes a gateway city --
In pursuit of vice and moral order --
Old and new Americans : the people of Fargo and Moorhead --
Domestic virtues : middle-class moral order --
Vagabonds, workers, and purveyors of vice --
Building a better community : the politics of good government.
"Historian Carroll Engelhardt's Gateway to the Northern Plains chronicles the story of Fargo and Moorhead's growth. Once just specks on the vast landscape of the Northern Plains, these twin cities prospered, teeming with their own dynamic culture, economy, and politics. Moorhead developed first, boosted by railroad manager Thomas Hawley Canfield, who touted it as superior to Fargo. However, Northern Pacific Railway chose Fargo as its headquarters, and it became the "Gateway City" to North Dakota."--Jacket.
- Fargo (N.D.) -- History -- 19th century.
- Moorhead (Minn.) -- History -- 19th century.
- Fargo (N.D.) -- Economic conditions -- 19th century.
- Moorhead (Minn.) -- Economic conditions -- 19th century.
- Northern Pacific Railway Company -- History.
- Great Northern Railway Company (U.S.) -- History.
- Great Northern Railway Company (U.S.)
- Northern Pacific Railway Company.
- Economic history.
- Minnesota -- Moorhead.
- North Dakota -- Fargo.
- Railroads -- Minnesota.
- Railroads -- North Dakota.
- United States, North Dakota, Cass, Fargo -- History.
- United States, Minnesota, Clay, Moorhead -- History.