Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Personal narratives, Confederate
|Named Person:||Edward Spencer; Nan Hayden Agle; Gellert Spencer Alleman; Thomas F Bayard; William Hand Browne; J Thomas Scharf; Catherine Bradford Harrison Spencer; Edward Spencer; Eliza Reich Spencer; Guinelda Ethelia Mummey Spencer; W Lindsly Spencer; Nan Hayden Agle; Thomas F Bayard; William Hand Browne; J Thomas Scharf; Edward Spencer|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||3.75 linear ft. (9 document boxes)|
|Other Titles:||Edward Spencer papers,
Spencer (Edward) papers,
Edward Spencer's papers relate to his literary career. The earliest papers are school notebooks from the Trinity School in Baltimore (1848-49) and Princeton University (1853-58). Spencer re-used his student notebooks for his later literary work so some of these notebooks also contain his stories. Also in the papers are notebooks and drafts of Spencer's stories, essays, poems and plays as well as a large number of his printed newspaper articles. The collection includes a copy of Spencer's full-length study of Delaware Senator Thomas F. Bayard. There is correspondence with Bayard as well. Spencer also worked with J. Thomas Scharf on several of his local histories. Spencer's incoming correspondence (1866-83) deals with all aspects of his literary work especially publication. Spencer carried on a detailed correspondence with William Hand Browne from 1870-76. Spencer's letters were returned and are part of the collection. Dr. Gellert S. Alleman collected a variety of secondary material relating to the life of Edward Spencer, and these notes and copies are a part of the collection. Especially well-documented is Spencer's play "Kit, The Arkansas Traveler."
- Spencer, Edward, -- 1834-1883 -- Archives.
- Agle, Nan Hayden.
- Alleman, Gellert Spencer, -- 1913-
- Bayard, Thomas F. -- (Thomas Francis), -- 1828-1898.
- Browne, William Hand, -- 1828-1912.
- Scharf, J. Thomas -- (John Thomas), -- 1843-1898.
- Spencer, Catherine Bradford Harrison.
- Spencer, Edward, -- 1800-1840.
- Spencer, Eliza Reich.
- Spencer, Guinelda Ethelia Mummey, -- -1881.
- Spencer, W. Lindsly.
- Princeton University.
- Authors, American -- 19th century -- Archives.
- Dramatists, American -- 19th century -- Archives.
- Farmers -- Maryland -- Archives.
- Journalists -- Maryland -- Archives.
- Poets, American -- 19th century -- Archives.
- Baltimore (Md.) -- Social life and customs -- Sources.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- Spencer, Edward, -- 1834-1883.
- Authors, American.
- Dramatists, American.
- Manners and customs.
- Poets, American.
- Maryland -- Baltimore.
- United States.