Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||0631183299 9780631183297 0631183310 9780631183310|
|Description:||xii, 442 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||Maps of the intellectual landscape. Travelling theory --
1. Geography and the world-as-exhibition. Visualization. Cook's Tour: anthropology and geography. Borders: sociology and geography. Frontiers: economics and geography --
2. Geography and the cartographic anxiety. Descartes and deconstruction. Marks: political economy and human geography. Signs: social theory and human geography. Traces: cultural studies and human geography. Imaginative geographies and geographical imaginations --
3. City/commodity/culture: spatiality and the politics of representation. Maps of modernity. The literary diver: David Harvey and Second Empire Paris. Passages: Walter Benjamin and the Arcades Project. The Vega cap: Allan Pred and fin-de-siecle Stockholm. Archives and archaeologies --
4. Chinatown, Part Three? Uncovering postmodern geographies. Pastiche. A history of the present. Learning from Los Angeles. Watching the detectives. American dream. Dreams of unity --
5. Dream of Liberty? Cover version. Imagining liberty. Representing power. Dream of Liberty. The condition of postmodernity --
6. Modernity and the production of space. May 68 and Harvey 69. Hegel's ghost. A history of space. The eye of power. Dreams of liberty and wings of desire.
"An authoritative map through the thickets of the geographical imagination." <i>Times Literary Supplement