|提及的人：||George Bruce; George Wolfe Bruce|
George Wolfe Bruce
|注意：||In the Southern Historical Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (#5225-z).|
Letters written by George Wolfe Bruce in 1853 and 1854 to his sisters and mother while traveling on business through Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, and Florida, and along the Mississippi River and Chattahoochee River, possibly checking on accounts for his father's company. The letters describe the difficulties of traveling in the region; a trip on the steamship Eclipse; the southern landscape; town features and townspeople's customs; and the quality of lodgings, including judgments on proprietors and staff. Bruce also discussed witnessing a slave auction in Abbeville, Ala., and reflected on the effects of slavery on slaves. Also included is Bruce's calling card.
- Alabama -- Description and travel.
- Bruce, George, -- 1781-1866.
- Bruce, George Wolfe.
- Business travel -- Southern States -- History -- 19th century.
- Chattahoochee River -- Description and travel.
- Florida -- Description and travel.
- Georgia -- Description and travel.
- Louisiana -- Description and travel.
- Mississippi River -- Description and travel.
- Slave trade -- Alabama.
- Slavery -- Alabama.
- Southern States -- Description and travel.
- Southern States -- Social life and customs.
- Steamboats -- Southern States -- History -- 19th century.
- Travelers -- Southern States.