|ISBN:||9781400033409 1400033403 9781400033409 1400033403 1299076513 9781299076518|
|描述：||1 online resource.|
On January 28, 1945, 121 hand-selected U.S. troops slipped behind enemy lines in the Philippines. Their mission: March thirty rugged miles to rescue 513 POWs languishing in a hellish camp, among them the last survivors of the infamous Bataan Death March. A recent prison massacre by Japanese soldiers elsewhere in the Philippines made the stakes impossibly high and left little time to plan the complex operation. In Ghost Soldiers Hampton Sides vividly re-creates this daring raid, offering a minute-by-minute narration that unfolds alongside intimate portraits of the prisoners and their lives in the camp. Sides shows how the POWs banded together to survive, defying the Japanese authorities even as they endured starvation, tropical diseases, and torture. Harrowing, poignant, and inspiring, Ghost Soldiers is the mesmerizing story of a remarkable mission. It is also a testament to the human spirit, an account of enormous bravery and self-sacrifice amid the most trying conditions. From the Trade Paperback edition.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Philippines -- Cabanatuan.
- United States. -- Army. -- Ranger Battalion, 6th -- History.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Regimental histories -- United States.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Concentration camps -- Philippines -- Cabanatuan.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, Japanese.
- Cabanatuan (Philippines) -- History, Military.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Atrocities.
- HISTORY -- Military -- World War II.
- HISTORY -- Europe -- Western.