Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Fanny Goodridge Cheever; Henry A Cheever; Annie Ward Gilbert; Charles Minor Gilbert; George Edwards Gilbert; Mary Alice Gilbert; Mary Goodridge Gilbert; William Hinman Gilbert; M J Gonsalves; Sara A Gonsalves; Joseph Goodridge; William E Goodridge; Thomas Anthony Thacher; Cheever family.; Gilbert family.|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||7 linear ft. (16 boxes)|
The papers document the families formed by the marriages of two sisters, Mary and Fanny Goodridge, to William Hinman Gilbert and Henry A. Cheever, respectively. William H. Gilbert was a clergyman from Weston, Connecticut who, with his wife, taught in schools in Vermont and Massachusetts. Henry A. Cheever was a sea captain who settled in San Francisco ca. 1853 and brought his wife and children there from Massachusetts. The papers consist of correspondence, diaries, journals, record books, photographs, memorabilia, printed matter, and sermons relating to the lives of these two families and their children.
The Cheever letters from San Francisco describe the political and social life of the city in addition to carrying news of the family and domestic activities. William E. Goodridge, brother of the two Goodridge sisters, wrote from the West where he described life in Nevada. After his death in 1864, his fiancʹee Sara A. Gonsalves continued to write to the family from Washington D.C. with descriptions of visits to soldiers' hospitals and other references to the Civil War. William H. Gilbert, who was an army agent of the American Bible Society (1864-1865), also reported on the Civil War and later, writing on his travels in Alabama in 1870, described the lynching of a black school teacher.
- Cheever, Fanny Goodridge, -- b. 1825.
- Cheever, Henry A., -- d. 1873.
- Gilbert, Annie Ward, -- b. 1857.
- Gilbert, Charles Minor, -- 1855-1881.
- Gilbert, George Edwards, -- 1855-1879.
- Gilbert, Mary Alice, -- b. 1860.
- Gilbert, Mary Goodridge, -- 1823-1895.
- Gilbert, William Hinman, -- 1817-1905.
- Gonsalves, M. J.
- Gonsalves, Sara A.
- Goodridge, Joseph.
- Goodridge, William E., -- d. 1864.
- Thacher, Thomas Anthony, -- 1815-1886.
- Cheever family.
- Gilbert family.
- American Bible Society.
- Bradford Junior College (Bradford, Mass.)
- United States Christian Commission.
- Yale University -- Students.
- Yale University. -- Class of 1841.
- Yale University. -- Class of 1878.
- Yale University. -- Divinity School.
- African Americans.
- Brothers and sisters.
- Congregational churches.
- Nevada -- Description and travel.
- New England -- Social life and customs.
- San Francisco (Calif.) -- Social life and customs.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Virginia -- Economic conditions.
- West (U.S.)