|関連の人物：||Martin Luther King, Jr.|
|ISBN：||9781620400586 1620400588 1620400596 9781620400593|
|物理形態：||xviii, 218 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm|
|コンテンツ：||Introduction: The cry for justice --
The prelude : Prisoner --
The "letter" : Diplomat ; Prophet --
Aftermath : Street fighter --
Epilogue: Words spoken to mankind.
"I am in Birmingham because injustice is here," declared Martin Luther King, Jr. He had come to that city of racist terror convinced that massive protest could topple Jim Crow. But the insurgency faltered. To revive it, King made a sacrificial act on Good Friday, April 12, 1963: he was arrested. Alone in his cell, reading a newspaper, he found a statement from eight "moderate" clergymen who branded the protests extremist and "untimely." King drafted a furious rebuttal that emerged as the "Letter from Birmingham Jail"--A work that would take its place among the masterpieces of American moral argument alongside those of Thoreau and Lincoln. His insistence on the urgency of "Freedom Now" would inspire not just the marchers of Birmingham and Selma, but peaceful insurgents from Tiananmen to Tahrir Squares. Scholar Jonathan Rieder delves deeper than anyone before into the Letter-illuminating both its timeless message and its crucial position in the history of civil rights. Rieder has interviewed King's surviving colleagues, and located rare audiotapes of King speaking in the mass meetings of 1963. Gospel of Freedom gives us a startling perspective on the Letter and the man who wrote it: an angry prophet who chastised American whites, found solace in the faith and resilience of the slaves, and knew that moral appeal without struggle never brings justice--Publisher description.
- King, Martin Luther, -- Jr., -- 1929-1968. -- Letter from Birmingham Jail.
- Civil rights movements -- Alabama -- Birmingham -- History -- 20th century.
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Alabama -- Birmingham.
- Birmingham (Ala.) -- Race relations.
- Civil disobedience -- Alabama -- Birmingham -- History -- 20th century.
- Letter from Birmingham Jail (King, Martin Luther, Jr.)
- African Americans -- Civil rights.
- Civil disobedience.
- Civil rights movements.
- Race relations.
- Alabama -- Birmingham.
- New Books(236 件)
by annapoore 更新： およそ4日前
- African-American History Month - A Nonfiction Book List(132 件)
by carteretlibraries 更新： 2016-01-22
- MLK & Prophetic Religion(19 件)
by tidemeover 更新： 2015-01-25
- MLK and Selma via Palomar College resources(10 件)
by mgforney 更新： 2015-01-14
- Alabama history(288 件)
by joseph_drake 更新： 2014-11-08