Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Early works to 1500
Early works to 1800
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Evrard, de BeÌthune.; Perus; Leo S Olschki; Palazzo Raffaelli (Cingoli, Italy),; H.P. Kraus (Firm),; Pre-1650 Manuscript Collection (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library); University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in single column of long lines throughout. Prologue is written in 8-10 lines. The poem proper is written in 25-29 lines. Numerous marginal and interlinear glosses, written in a broadly contemporaneous hand (i.e. 15th-century) in Latin, spanning from the start of the text to 16r, trailing off sharply thereafter. Frame-ruled in lead with double vertical and double horizontal lines; prick-marks partially obscured by trimmed edges.
Script: Main text written in a Gothic rotunda book hand by a single scribe, named Perus. Glosses are written in a miniscule cursiva.
Decoration: Rubrication throughout, including paragraph marks, with extended lacunae from 9v-12v, 14v-24v, 33v-36v, 39v-48r, 55v-60v, 68v-74r, and 77v-86r. Missing initials throughout.
Binding: Modern binding (19th-century), half-calf over boards.
Origin: Presumably copied in Italy as suggested by the script. Date and scribe's name from colophon at 86v. Paper bears the watermark of a hunting horn, most similar to those of northern and central Italian production from ca. 1400, as found in Briquet, nos. 7665, 7669, and 7672.
Provenance: 1. Belonged to the library of the Palazzo Raffaelli in Cingoli, Italy -- 2. Belonged to the collection of Leo S. Olschki -- 3. Purchased from Kraus, 31 October 1957.
Shelf-mark: Urbana, IL, University of Illinois Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Pre-1650 MS 0117.
Former shelf-mark: Ms. 1404 (Biblioteca Raffaelli di Cingoli?)
|Description:||86 leaves : paper ; 292 x 215 (189 x 91) mm. bound to 303 x 234 mm.|
|Contents:||1. Prologue, fol. 1r-2v: "[rubr.] Incipit liber Gricismi Ebrardi. [text] [Q]uo[n]iam ignora[n]tie nub[i]lo turpiter excecati...de nominibus extractis a greco secundum alphabetum" --
2. Poem proper, fol. 3r-86v: "[text] [E]st p[ro]p[r]ie metha trans grece fo[r]matio plasma...verbaque cum motu sibi iungunt diptota t[u]m. [rubr.] Amen. Amen. Amen. Explicit liber Gricismi Ebrardi, quem ego Perus scripsi, sub a[n]no D[omi]ni milleximo CCCC qua[r]to, inditio[n]e XII. Deo gr[ati]as am[en]."
|Other Titles:||Liber Gricismi Ebrardi, poema, ms. 1404|
- Greek language -- Grammar -- Early works to 1500.
- Latin language -- Grammar -- Early works to 1500.
- Latin literature, Medieval and modern -- Early works to 1800.
- Latin poetry, Medieval and modern -- Early works to 1800.
- Literature, Medieval.
- Manuscripts, Latin (Medieval and modern) -- Illinois -- Urbana -- Specimens.
- Manuscripts, Medieval -- Illinois -- Urbana -- Specimens.
- Poetry, Medieval.