Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Great Southwest of the Fred Harvey Company and the Santa Fe Railway.
Phoenix, Ariz. : Heard Museum ; Tucson [Ariz.] : Distributed by The University of Arizona Press, ©1996
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Marta Weigle; Barbara A Babcock; Heard Museum.
|Notes:||"This book has been produced in connection with the exhibit 'Inventing the Southwest: The Fred Harvey Company and Native American Art, ' curated by Diana Pardue and Kathleen Howard"--Foreword.|
|Description:||xvii, 254 pages : illustrations, portraits ; 31 cm|
|Contents:||Fred Harvey Company and the Santa Fe Railway: "To Experience the real Grand Canyon" : Santa Fe/Harvey panopticism, 1901-1935 / Marta Weigle with Kathleen L. Howard. Building an image of the Southwest : Mary Colter, Fred Harvey Company architect / Matilda McQuaid with Karen Bartlett. "There is a little sermon in that" : constructing the Native Southwest at the San Diego Panama-California exposition of 1915 / Phoebe S. Kropp. "Insisted on authenticity" : Harveycar Indian detours, 1925-1931 / Marta Weigle. Fred Harvey Company --
bookseller to the Southwest / David Farmer --
Traders and collectors: Fred Harvey company collects Indian art : selected remarks / Brian Harvey III. "A most remarkable success" : Herman Schweizer and the Fred Harvey Indian department / Kathleen L. Howard. Marketing ethnography : the Fred Harvey Indian department and George A. Dorsey / Diana F. Pardue. Collecting symbolism among the Arapaho : George A. Dorsey and C. Warden, Indian / Marsha C. Bol. "Hidden at the heard" : the Harvey company Pomo collection / Sherrie Smith-Ferri. William Randolph Hearst : collector extraordinaire / Nancy J. Blomberg. Personal passion and profitable pursuit : the Kathleen Harvey collection of Native American fine art / Edwin L. Wade and Katherine L. Chase --
Fred Harvey Company and the Native Southwest: Discovering Indians in Fred Harvey's Southwest / Leah Dilworth. Making art, making money : the Fred Harvey collection and the Indian artisan / Diana F. Pardue and Kathleen L. Howard. Artists under glass : the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art's Native American dioramas / David A. Binkley. Cultural changes : the effect of foreign systems at Santa Clara pueblo / Tessie Naranjo. Mud Woman's first encounter with the world of money and business ; the living exhibit under the museum's portal / Nora Naranjo-Morse. We never saw these things before : Southwest Indian laughter and resistance to the invasion of the Tse va ho / Rayna Green. First families : gender, reproduction, and the mythic Southwest / Barbara A. Babcock --
Santa Fe Railway and Fred Harvey Publications, 1892-1930 : a selected checklist / Kathleen L. Howard and Marta Weigle.
|Responsibility:||edited by Marta Weigle and Barbara A. Babcock.|
- Pueblo art -- History.
- Pueblo Indians -- Industries.
- Indian art -- Southwest, New -- History.
- Fred Harvey (Firm) -- History.
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company -- History.
- Tourism -- Southwest, New -- History.
- Indian art -- Collectors and collecting -- Southwest, New.
- Southwest, New -- History -- 1848-
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company.
- Fred Harvey (Firm)
- Indian art.
- Indian art -- Collectors and collecting.
- Pueblo art.
- Pueblo Indians.
- Southwest, New.
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company -- History
- Fred Harvey (Firm) -- History
- Geschichte -- 1821-1979
- Indian Art -- Collectors and collecting -- Southwest, New
- Indian art -- History -- Southwest, New
- Pueblo Indians -- Industries
- Pueblo art -- History
- Tourism -- History -- Southwest, New
User lists with this item (6)
- Research: Traveling the West in the 19th and early 20th Centuries(11 items)
by AvaPerls updated 2012-10-05
- Az., collecting, Wade, Edwin L.(5 items)
- The Southwest, anthropology, Babcock, Barbara A.(31 items)
by rdheinritz updated 2008-07-27
- 6 Weigle.Marta(47 items)
- Mary Colter(10 items)