Gregory, of Nazianzus, Saint.
Gregory of Nazianzus, autobiographical poems.
Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 1996
|提及的人：||Gregory, of Nazianzus Saint; Gregory, of Nazianzus Saint; Gregory, of Nazianzus Saint.|
Gregory, of Nazianzus Saint.; Carolinne White
|语言注释：||Greek with English translation on facing pages.|
|描述：||xxix, 183 p. ; 23 cm.|
|内容：||To his own verses (II 1.39) --
Concerning his own life (II 1.11) --
Complaint concerning his own calamities (II 1.19) --
On silence at the time of fasting (II 1.34) --
Epitaph and synopsis of his life (II 1.92).
|丛书名：||Cambridge medieval classics, 6.|
|责任：||translated and edited by Carolinne White.|
Gregory is best known for the five orations he gave in Constantinople but, De Vita Sua apart, his poems can only be read in a nineteenth-century Greek edition and have never before been translated into English. The selected poems highlight Gregory's spiritual outlook and also his poetics; Gregory shows his expertise in a variety of metres and literary dialects, deriving from his knowledge of classical Greek literature.
The substantial introduction provides biographical information against which to set the poems, focusing particularly on the years which Gregory spent in Constantinople.
- Gregory, -- of Nazianzus, Saint -- Translations into English.
- Christian poetry, Greek -- Translations into English.
- Christian saints -- Turkey -- Biography -- Poetry.
- Gregory, -- of Nazianzus, Saint -- Poetry.
- Authors, Greek -- Biography -- Poetry.
- Christian biography -- Poetry.
- Autobiography -- Poetry.
- Autobiographical poetry, Greek.
- Gregory, -- of Nazianzus, Saint.