Encontrar uma cópia on-line
Links para este item
Encontrar uma cópia na biblioteca
Encontrando bibliotecas que possuem este item...
|Tipo de Material:||Recurso Internet|
|Tipo de Documento:||Livro, Recurso Internet|
|Todos os Autores / Contribuintes:||
|Descrição:||877 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations, map ; 25 cm.|
|Conteúdos:||1. Invasion : The far shore ; First tide ; Hell's Beach ; A conqueror's paradise --
2. Lodgement : "This long thin line of personal anguish" ; A gunman's world ; Terror is broken by terror ; How easy it is to make a ghost --
3. Liberation : A monstrous blood-mill ; The bright day grew dark ; Ministers of thy chastisement ; The loveliest story of our time --
4. Pursuit : "The huntsman is hungry" ; The Avenue of Stenches ; "Harden the heart and let fly" --
5. Against the west wall : "Five barley loaves and three small fishes" ; Every village a fortress ; A market and a garden ; The arrow that flieth by day --
6. The implicated woods : Charlemagne's tomb ; "Do not let us pretend we are all right" ; The worst place of any --
7. The flutter of wings : A town too small for the tragedy ; Faith in a friendly universe ; To the land of doom ; "Providence decrees and we must obey" --
8. A winter shadow : "We are all so human that it is pitiful" ; Staking everything on one card ; The light line ; "Go easy, boys. There's danger ahead" --
9. The Bulge : A rendezvous in some flaming town ; "Why are you not packing?" ; War in the raw ; Glory has its price ; The agony grapevine --
10. Argonauts : Citizens of the world ; A fateful conference ; "Only our eyes are alive" --
11. Crossings : The inner door to Germany ; Two if by sea ; "The enemy has reason to fear him" ; Lovers' quarrels are a part of love --
12. Victory : Mark of the beast ; Dragon country ; "God, where are you?" ; A great silence.
This book is the magnificent conclusion to Rick Atkinson's acclaimed Liberation Trilogy about the Allied triumph in Europe during World War II. It is the twentieth century's unrivaled epic: at a staggering price, the United States and its allies liberated Europe and vanquished Hitler. In the first two volumes of his bestselling Liberation Trilogy, Rick Atkinson recounted how the American-led coalition fought through North Africa and Italy to the threshold of victory. Now he tells the most dramatic story of all -- the titanic battle for Western Europe. D-Day marked the commencement of the final campaign of the European war, and Atkinson's riveting account of that bold gamble sets the pace for the masterly narrative that follows. The brutal fight in Normandy, the liberation of Paris, the disaster that was Operation Market Garden, the horrific Battle of the Bulge, and finally the thrust to the heart of the Third Reich -- all these historic events and more come alive with a wealth of new material and a mesmerizing cast of characters. Atkinson tells the tale from the perspective of participants at every level, from presidents and generals to war-weary lieutenants and terrified teenage riflemen. When Germany at last surrenders, we understand anew both the devastating cost of this global conflagration and the enormous effort required to win the Allied victory. With the stirring final volume of this monumental trilogy, Atkinson's accomplishment is manifest. He has produced the definitive chronicle of the war that unshackled a continent and preserved freedom in the West.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Western Front.
- Military campaigns.
- Western Front (World War (1939-1945))
- Guerre mondiale (1939-1945) -- Campagnes et batailles -- Front occidental.
- Andra världskriget 1939-1945.
- Västfronten (Andra världskriget 1939-1945)
Listas de usuários com este item (9)
- War and after(62 ítens)
por fulmerford atualizado mais ou menos um mês atrás
- LIBRARY, HARDCOVER Non Fiction(434 ítens)
por CYNTHIANIELSEN atualizado 2015-09-11
- New Books April 2015(214 ítens)
por BrookensLibrary atualizado 2015-05-07
- DMA: Arts & Letters Live, 2014 Season(25 ítens)
por richlandlibrary atualizado 2014-10-02
- New Books January 2014(257 ítens)
por BrookensLibrary atualizado 2014-03-04