Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Fiction, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
|ISBN:||1400044162 9781400044160 9781400095209 1400095204|
|Awards:||Anisfield-Wolf Book Award, 2007.
Orange Prize for Fiction, 2007.
|Description:||435 pages ; 25 cm|
|Responsibility:||Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.|
With the effortless grace of a natural storyteller, Adichie weaves together the lives of five characters caught up in the extraordinary tumult of the decade. Fifteen-year-old Ugwu is houseboy to Odenigbo, a university professor who sends him to school, and in whose living room Ugwu hears voices full of revolutionary zeal. Odenigboʹs beautiful mistress, Olanna, a sociology teacher, is running away from her parentsʹ world of wealth and excess; Kainene, her urbane twin, is taking over their fatherʹs business; and Kaineneʹs English lover, Richard, forms a bridge between their two worlds. As we follow these intertwined lives through a military coup, the Biafran secession and the subsequent war, Adichie brilliantly evokes the promise, and intimately, the devastating disappointments that marked this time and place. -- Publisher description.
- Nigeria -- History -- Civil War, 1967-1970 -- Fiction.
- Nigeria -- History -- 1960- -- Fiction.
- Nigeria -- Politics and government -- 1960- -- Fiction.
- Historical fiction.
- Political fiction.
- Politics and government
User lists with this item (32)
- Things to Check Out(39 items)
by marioq updated about 2 days ago
- Bailey's Women's Prize for Fiction - U.K. (formerly Orange Prize)(11 items)
by dordtlibrary updated about 4 days ago
- Things to Check Out(22 items)
by helenamc updated about a month ago
- Spring 2015 Library Associates Suggestions(54 items)
by MikkLib07 updated 2015-03-16
- 21st Century's 12 Greatest Reads(12 items)
by Periodcomma updated 2015-01-20