Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Jane Goodall; Gary McAvoy; Gail E Hudson
|ISBN:||0446533629 9780446533621 0446698210 9780446698214|
|Description:||xxiv, 296 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||1. Animals to us : Nature's ingenuity ; Tool use and hunting ; New light on human evolution ; Fire, the origins of cooking ; The dawn of human culture --
2. A celebration of cultures : Different places, different foods ; Cheers! Salute! Skoal! ; Food on the streets ; Fingers, forks, and chopsticks ; Celebrations and feasts ; Food and religious traditions --
3. How we lost commonsense farming : Chemical life support ; Growing food with poisons ; Our chemical legacy ; A hopeful awakening --
4. Seeds of discontent : Caution: biohazards ahead ; A letter comes in the mail ; Lord of the seeds ; Small farmers strike back ; They were wrong before ; Animals and GMOs ; What you can do --
5. Animal factories: farms of misery : The plight of poultry ; Not all pigs live like Babe ; Beef: the hidden story ; Not-so-contented cows ; Veal: what you've heard is true ; The birth of Frankenfoods ; Honoring the ancient contract --
6. Farming animals: hazards to our health : They don't even call them farms ; Disease in the slaughterhouse ; Bacteria ; Viruses ; Hormones ; Antibiotic resistance ; Animal waste: the cycle of pollution ; Pig business is big business. 7. Helping farm animals live better lives : Use your consumer power ; Hold restaurants accountable ; Talk to your grocer ; Read labels carefully ; Buy grass-fed animal products ; Support the right farmers ; One thread at a time ; Help rescue animals --
8. Ravaging the oceans and seas : The Great Lakes of Africa ; Hazards of fish farming ; Harmful to humans ; Farming the tiger prawns ; Willing to take the risk? ; Our mercurial oceans ; What you can do --
9. Becoming a vegetarian : Consider our children ; How eating meat impacts the environment ; Feeding our appetite for meat ; Irresponsible use of water ; A case for eating less meat and seafood --
10. Global supermarkets : The myth of "fresh food" --
11. Taking back our food : Sensible farming ; Deep organic, shallow organic ; The cost of organic foods ; Can we really afford "cheap" food? ; What you can do --
12. Protecting our family farmers : Local: the new organic ; Pound, dollar, peso, rupee: local is affordable ; Farming in our cities ; Saving family farms ; What you can do. 13. Eat local, eat seasonal : Protecting our heirlooms ; As those who came before ; Traditional foods are the healthiest ; Slow food picks up the pace ; Changing the world one hard hat a a time ; What you can do --
14. An organic wave worldwide : Sustaining hope ; Helping women to take care of the earth ; It all begins and ends with soil ; Local food for local people ; What you can do --
15. At home and at school: feeding our children : School meals ; A delicious revolution ; And then there's the big dream ; Feed me better: the Naked Chef goes to school ; Appetite for a new curriculum ; What you can do --
16. Obesity, fast food, and waste : The not-so-missing link ; The seduction of happy meals ; Beware of corn syrup ; Junk foods, sugar, and violence ; Waste not, want not ; What you can do --
17. The looming water crisis : Wasting water ; The truth about bottled water ; And about those plastic bottles ; When corporations own the water ; Will wars be fought over water? ; What you can do --
18. The story of Nebraska : They have the corn ; They have the factory farms ; They have the global supermarket ; And they have the water crisis ; Yet hope grows in Nebraska --
19. Harvest for hope : Changing the world: one purchase, one meal, one bite at a time.
|Responsibility:||Jane Goodall with Gary McAvoy and Gail Hudson.|
- Food industry and trade.
- Environmental protection.
- Organic farming.
User lists with this item (7)
- Earth Day 2015(33 items)
by dkrexon updated 2015-05-04
- Environmental Studies(341 items)
by leecyb75 updated 2013-02-28
- Things to Check Out(6 items)
by mbroad updated 2011-09-10
- dibeties ,diet and food labels(66 items)
by pdinform updated 2011-06-10
- Things to Check Out(9 items)
by lizzy2656 updated 2011-02-10