Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Bennet B Harvey; Botsford family.; Fisk family.; Harvey family.; Thor Heyerdahl|
|Material Type:||Manuscript, Picture|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Book, Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Thor Heyerdahl; Mary Alice Jones; Midwest Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library); Newberry Library.
|Notes:||Use the link to the finding aid for a fuller description of collection contents that explains the use of the name and subject terms appearing in this catalog record.|
|Description:||15 linear feet (29 boxes, 2 oversize boxes, and 1 volume)|
Items provide insight into upper and upper middle class Chicago family life from the late 19th century through the 1950s, particularly social activities and childhood experiences, as well as travel in and around the Mackinac Island region of Michigan. Bennet B. Harvey's long career with Rand McNally is well documented, including work with authors Mary Alice Jones, Marguerite Henry, and Thor Heyerdahl. Harvey ancestors were early settlers in Chicago and contributed significantly to the city's development. The collection includes materials related to Turlington Harvey's wholesale lumber company, Jabez K. Botsford's hardware business and involvement with the founding of Northwestern University, and business records and publicity related to the D.B. Fisk & Co., a large, wholesale millinery business which survived the Chicago fire and was a downtown fixture for decades. Photographs and albums include multiple generations of the Harvey, Botsford, Fisk, and Wegener families, their various residences, and travels. The series also includes staff, publicty, and other photos related to Bennet B. Harvey's career at Rand McNally, particularly his work with author Thor Heyerdahl. A variety of historical formats are represented, including well preserved autochromes in diascopes, and daguerreotypes. Narrative descriptions of the subject matter, types of material, and arrangement of each series are available through the Organization section of the finding aid.
- Harvey, Bennet B. -- 1903-1998.
- Botsford family.
- Fisk family.
- Harvey family.
- Latin School of Chicago -- Students.
- Rand McNally and Company -- Employees.
- Wellesley College -- Students.
- Chicago (Ill.) -- History -- To 1875.
- Chicago (Ill.) -- Social life and customs.
- Illinois -- Genealogy.
- Mackinac Island (Mich.) -- History.
- Mackinac Island Region (Mich.) -- Description and travel.
- Massachusetts -- Genealogy.
- Families -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History -- Sources.
- Genealogical correspondence -- United States.
- Millinery -- Illinois -- Chicago.
- Physicians -- Illinois -- Biography.
- Publishers and publishing -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History.
- Illinois. -- Constitutional Convention -- (1969-1970)
- Heyerdahl, Thor. -- Kon-Tiki ekspedisjonen.
- Children's books -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Love-letters -- United States -- 20th century.
- Manuscripts, American -- Illinois -- Chicago.