Martin, Richard (Richard Harrison).
New York : Metropolitan Museum of Art : Distributed by H.N. Abrams, ©1995
Richard Martin; Harold Koda; Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
|ISBN:||0870997629 9780870997624 0870997610 9780870997617 0810964961 9780810964969|
|注意：||"Issued in conjunction with an exhibition held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, December 7, 1995-March 24, 1996"--Title page verso.
|描述：||118 pages : color illustrations ; 28 cm|
|责任：||Richard Martin & Harold Koda.|
Published to accompany an exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute, this appealing book provides a lively survey of the history of haute couture from its beginnings with the formation of the House of Worth in mid-nineteenth-century Paris to the present-day creations of fashion's major designers. One section of the book features a survey of designs that exemplify the rise of haute couture - that is, fashion driven by the artistic expression of the designer rather than by the dictates of clients - including garments such as Poiret's "sorbet" lampshade gown, Chanel's "little black dress," Dior's New Look, and Balenciaga's sack dress. Among the contemporary couturiers featured are Gianni Versace, Yves Saint Laurent, and Christian Lacroix. Most of the designs are in the permanent collection of The Metropolitan Museum of Art and were photographed especially for this book. The authors have given special prominence to the highly specialized skills that are the foundation of haute couture. Chapters examine tailoring and dressmaking techniques as well as the intricate decoration produced by embroiderers, beaders, lace makers, feather workers, and other craftspeople on whom couturiers rely for unique expression of their ideas.
- Costume -- History -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.
- Costume -- History -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.
- Costume -- New York (State) -- New York -- Exhibitions.
- Costume Institute (New York, N.Y.) -- Exhibitions.
- Costume Institute (New York, N.Y.)
- New York (State) -- New York.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Costume -- History -- 19th century -- Exhibitions
- Costume -- History -- 20th century -- Exhibitions
- Costume -- New York (State) -- New York -- Exhibitions
- Costume Institute (New York, N.Y.) -- Exhibitions