Find a copy in the library
Find it in libraries globally
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Beatrix Rebecca Hoffman
|Description:||xxxv, 319 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||Rationing and rights: history and definitions --
Rights and rationing before 1930 --
The Struggle for Health Care in the Great Depression: A crisis of access ; Social security without health security. --
Prosperity and Exclusion, 1941-1964: Health care at war ; Rights to refuse, the triumph of the hospital ; Rationing by coverage, the rise of private health insurance. --
New Entitlements and New Movements, 1965-1980: Entitlements but not rights, Medicare and Medicaid ; The rise of health care activism. --
Rights vs. Markets, 1981-2008: Emergency rooms and epidemics ; At the breaking point ; Rights, rationing, and reform.
"In the American political debate, everybody condemns the notion of 'rationing' health care. But Beatrix Hoffman's meticulous history shows that rationing - by income, age, employment, etc. - has
- Health Services Accessibility -- history -- United States.
- Health Care Rationing -- history -- United States.
- History, 20th Century -- United States.
- History, 21st Century -- United States.
- Human Rights -- history -- United States.
- Right to health -- United States -- History.
- Health services accessibility -- United States -- History.
- Health care rationing -- United States -- History.
User lists with this item (6)
- New Titles Spring 2013(259 items)
by ngahl updated about a week ago
- colldev-us(21 items)
by ramerrez updated about 3 weeks ago
- NEW Health & Medicine Ebooks @ GEN Library(211 items)
by genlibrary updated about 2 days ago
- New Books October 2012(133 items)
by BrookensLibrary updated about a month ago
- Things to Check Out(500 items)
by sankeym updated about 3 days ago