Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Ebenezer Butterick; Helen Baker Cushman; Theodore Dreiser; Charles Pratt; J W Wilder|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Helen Baker Cushman
|Description:||26 linear ft.|
Anniversay planning manuals consist of project files for "Remember the Year" publications, including background information, illustrations, etc. Most focus on the events of the year in which the firm was founded rather than company history, although there is a short history of Whitehead Brothers Company (sand mining in Middlesex Co., N.J.). There is also a manual describing for clients how the anniversary pamphlets are prepared.
The company histories include several books ghost-written by Mrs. Cushman and her associates, including those for The Davey Company (binders' board), the Shreve, Crump & Low Co. (jewelers of Boston), and the Earle Gear and Machine Company of Philadelphia. There are also a number of 4-page newsletter histories.
The "Remember the Year" files contain all actual anniversary newsletters in chronological order. The articles on business history includes "The Business History Letter" (1976-1992).
The "Companies on Cards" file contains information on thousands of business firms arranged alphabetically on 3x5 cards. The data includes modern newsclippings, notes culled from advertisements in various 19th and early 20th century publications, and lists of participants and award winners in selected world's fairs. The files contains occasional clipped advertisements and color slides of records, artifacts or artwork.
The "Year-by-year" file is another batch of 3x5 cards listing events by year from 1866 to 1986. Most of these relate to popular politics and culture, but there are dates relating to business firms and the birthdates of significant businessmen. Again, there are occasional clipped ads, illustrations of persons and fashions, and world's fair data.
The business correspondence covers Mrs. Cushman's negotiations with clients and potential clients. There is more substantial company history data, including copies of previous histories and notes on corporate archives. Among the most important are: Cluett, Peabody & Co. (Arrow shirts), including photos of Arrow shirt ads by (J.C. Leyendecker??); the Package Machinery Company of East Longmeadow, Mass.; Shreve, Crump & Low Co.; the Alaska Mutual Bank; the Chester County Mutual Insurance Co.; the Montgomery Mutual Insurance Co. of Maryland; and the Somerville Savings Bank of New Jersey. The extensive files on the Butterick Co. (dress patterns) includes biographical data on Ebenezer Butterick and J.W. Wilder, the town of Sterlng, Mass., where the Butterick firm began, company histories, and an article on Theodore Dreiser's years as a Butterick editor.
Files on expositions (1853-1893) include photocopies of official reports and lists of participating business firms and awards they received.
Publicatons and ephemera includes an assortment of trade catalogs; Montgomery Ward and Sears catalogs; Vol 1, No. 1 of THE MAILBAG, a magazine of direct mail advertising; Vol. 2, No. 1 of THE CREST, a magazine of the Cadillac Motor Car Company; business and economic charts for 1950 and 1953 by Ebasco Services; an 1882 price list for Singer sewing machines; and a ca. Westinghouse map of Pittsburgh and its suburbs. There is a book of songs and poetry published by Brooklyn oil magnate and philanthropist Charles Pratt as an 1882 Christmas gift containing ads for Pratt's Astral oil and gasoline. The emphemera also includes playbills and programs from various theaters, many containing period advertising. One from the Metropolitan Opera (1903) notes the box locations for members of the city's business elite.
Mechanicals and negatives are the printer's mockups used for producing Mrs. Cushman's publications.
Most of Mrs. Cushman's books, pamphlets and trade catalogs have been transferred to the general Imprints Dept. collection. Most photographs, audio tapes of interviews, trade cards and epehmera have been transferred to the Pictorial Collections Dept.
- Butterick, Ebenezer, -- 1826-1903.
- Cushman, Helen Baker.
- Dreiser, Theodore, -- 1871-1945.
- Pratt, Charles, -- 1830-1891.
- Wilder, J.W. -- (Jones Warren), -- 1832-1894.
- Alaska Mutual Bank.
- American Automatic Typewriter Company -- Catalogs.
- AMETEK Inc.
- Armour and Company -- Publications.
- Bal Tabarin (Paris, France) -- Playbills.
- Butterick Company.
- Cadillac Motor Car Company -- Catalogs.
- Carnegie Hall (New York, N.Y.) -- Playbills.
- Chester County Mutual Insurance Company (Pa.).
- Cluett, Peabody & Co.
- Davey Company.
- E. Butterick and Company.
- Earle Gear and Machine Company.
- Ebasco Services Incorporated.
- Empire Brush Works -- Catalogs.
- Folies Bergere (Paris, France) -- Playbills.
- Filtrex Corporation -- Catalogs.
- General Electric Company -- Catalogs.
- Great Northern Chair Company -- Catalogs.
- H.M. Baker Associates.
- I.M. Singer & Co. -- Price lists.
- International Business Machines Corporation -- Catalogs.
- Jamison Cold Storage Door Company -- Catalogs.
- John H. Woodbury, Inc. -- Catalogs.
- Joyce-Cridland Company -- Catalogs.
- Metropolitan Opera (New York, N.Y.) -- Playbills.
- Montgomery Mutual Insurance Company (Md.).
- Montgomery Ward & Co. -- Catalogs.
- National Lead Company -- Publications.
- Opéra de Paris -- Playbills.
- Package Machinery Company.
- Polk Miller Drug Company -- Publications.
- Scottish Widows' Fund and Life Assurance Society -- Trade cards.
- Sears, Roebuck and Company -- Catalogs.
- Shreve, Crump & Low Co.
- Somerville Savings Bank (N.J.).
- Stanley Rule and Level Plant -- Catalogs.
- West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company -- Publications.
- Westinghouse Electric Corporation -- Catalogs.
- Whitehead Brothers Company.
- Advertising, Direct-mail.
- Arrow shirts.
- Brooms and brushes -- Catalogs.
- Business enterprises -- United States -- Anniversaries.
- Chairs -- Catalogs.
- Cosmetics -- Catalogs.
- Dishwashing machines -- Catalogs.
- Doors -- Catalogs.
- Industrial publicity.
- Insurance companies -- History.
- Lifting-jacks -- Catalogs.
- Paper industry -- New Jersey.
- Refrigerators -- Manuals.
- Sand and gravel industry -- New Jersey.
- Savings banks -- History.
- Sewing machines -- Price lists.
- Typewriters -- Catalogs.
- Vacuum cleaners -- Catalogs.
- Chester County (Pa.) -- Insurance companies.
- Middlesex County (N.J.) -- Sand and gravel industry.
- Montgomery County (Md.) -- Insurance companies.
- Pittsburgh (Pa.) -- Maps.
- Somerset County (N.J.) -- Savings banks.