Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Costume design drawings
Set design drawings
|Named Person:||Helen Hayes; Maxwell Anderson; Mamie Doud Eisenhower; William Gillette; Nunnally Johnson; Anita Loos; Charles MacArthur; James MacArthur; Eleanor Roosevelt; Jonas Salk; Thornton Wilder; Alexander Woollcott|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||29 linear feet (42 boxes)|
Correspondents include Brooks Atkinson, Stephen Vincent Benet, Carrie Chapman Catt, Mamie Eisenhower, Mary Martin, Paul Muni, Eleanor Roosevelt, Kim Stanley and Thorton Wilder. Of particular note is the correspondence from actor William Gillette and screenwriter and director Nunnally Johnson. The strength of this collection lies in its ability to illuminate all aspects of Hayes's public life by documenting not only her professional activities, but also the political, social, and charitable causes near to her heart. Hayes's life as a performing artist and public figure brought her into contact with influential figures in the arts, politics, and medicine, such as Maxwell Anderson, Presidents Eisenhower and Roosevelt, Anita Loos, Dr. Jonas Salk, and Alexander Woollcott. The collection provides a window into how Hayes's interest in the human condition manifested itself through the public realm of her art.
- Hayes, Helen, -- 1900-1993.
- Anderson, Maxwell, -- 1888-1959.
- Eisenhower, Mamie Doud, -- 1896-1979.
- Gillette, William, -- 1853-1937.
- Johnson, Nunnally.
- Loos, Anita, -- 1893-1981.
- MacArthur, Charles, -- 1895-1956.
- MacArthur, James, -- 1937-2010.
- Roosevelt, Eleanor, -- 1884-1962.
- Salk, Jonas, -- 1914-1995.
- Wilder, Thornton, -- 1897-1975. -- Skin of our teeth.
- Woollcott, Alexander, -- 1887-1943.
- Theater -- United States.
- Motion picture actors and actresses.