Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||David Rice Atchison; Neill Smith Brown; A P Butler; John C Calhoun; Henry Clay; John Davis; James Duane Doty; Millard Fillmore; Henry S Foote; John McLean; Nathaniel Pitcher Tallmadge; Roger Brooke Taney; Zachary Taylor; Martin Van Buren|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Photograph|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Henry Elias Howland; Mathew B Brady
|Notes:||Title devised by cataloger.
Twelve of the daguerreotypes have recto and/or verso inscriptions that identify the subject.
The daguerreotype portraits of Brown and Doty possess hand coloring.
Paper mats that previously accompanied the daguerreotypes provide additional captions and are housed in adjacent folders.
|Description:||15 photographs : daguerreotypes, b & w ; 19.2 x 15 cm. or smaller.|
Ten portraits were created in the United States Capitol, March 1849. These portraits depict David Rice Atchison, Neill Smith Brown, Andrew Pickens Butler, John Caldwell Calhoun, John Davis, Millard Fillmore, Henry S. Foote, and Nathaniel Pritchard Tallmadge, and also include two justices of the United Supreme Court, Associate Justice John McLean and Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney, who are both pictured wearing their judicial robes.
Two portraits depict Zachary Taylor. The portrait of Taylor dressed in a military uniform is a copy photograph of an image originally created during or immediately after the Mexican War, ca. 1848. The portrait of Taylor dressed in a civilian suit was created at the White House, March 1849.
Three portraits were created in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and consist of a portrait of Henry Clay taken in November 1849, and portraits of James Duane Doty and Martin Van Buren, ca. 1849-1850.
- Atchison, David Rice, -- 1807-1886 -- Portraits.
- Brown, Neill Smith, -- 1810-1886 -- Portraits.
- Butler, A. P. -- (Andrew Pickens), -- 1796-1857 -- Portraits.
- Calhoun, John C. -- (John Caldwell), -- 1782-1850 -- Portraits.
- Clay, Henry, -- 1777-1852 -- Portraits.
- Davis, John, -- 1787-1854 -- Portraits.
- Doty, James Duane, -- 1799-1865 -- Portraits.
- Fillmore, Millard, -- 1800-1874 -- Portraits.
- Foote, Henry S. -- (Henry Stuart), -- 1804-1880 -- Portraits.
- McLean, John, -- 1785-1861 -- Portraits.
- Tallmadge, Nathaniel Pitcher, -- 1795-1864 -- Portraits.
- Taney, Roger Brooke, -- 1777-1864 -- Portraits.
- Taylor, Zachary, -- 1784-1850 -- Portraits.
- Van Buren, Martin, -- 1782-1862 -- Portraits.
- United States. -- Supreme Court -- Officials and employees -- Portraits.
- Mexican War, 1846-1848 -- Portraits.
- Legislators -- United States -- Portraits.
- Portraits, American -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- Portraits, American -- Washington (D.C.)
- Portrait photography -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Presidents -- United States -- Portraits.
- Washington (D.C.) -- Capitol -- Portraits.
- Washington (D.C.) -- White House -- Portraits.